"I applied; I don't need a tour!"

"I applied; I don't need a tour!"

Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 327 votes

One of the hallmarks of the COVID era has been rampant unemployment abuse, whereby employers find that large numbers of people apply for jobs even on the other side of the country and don't respond to callbacks because their only real reason for applying is to continue receiving unemployment insurance.

Is there something similar for tenants?

I ask because one of my rentals is coming vacant and since I advertised it for rent on a popular online platform, people have been submitting applications (which costs money!) and then declining when I ask if they want to actually see the property. This seems like foolish behavior and would only make sense to me if there was some sort of government incentive to do it.

Can anyone explain these applicants?

And no, I'm not leasing to any of them; I have better candidates, so no need to derail the thread with advice.

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y

@James Free some online platforms allow  a number of applications to be made for one fee $29 on apartments.com and you can apply to 10 apartments.  Perhaps this is a factor for you. You aren't the 1st choice?

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @James Free some online platforms allow  a number of applications to be made for one fee $29 on apartments.com and you can apply to 10 apartments.  Perhaps this is a factor for you. You aren't the 1st choice?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Unemployment requires you apply because they want you to get a job so they can stop paying you benefits. Not sure what the benefit would be to apply for housing. If you don't get it, it's not like the government will give you something. 

    Only reason I can think of people doing this is if there is an extreme supply crunch and people are desperate to rent anything. 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @James Free:

    One of the hallmarks of the COVID era has been rampant unemployment abuse, whereby employers find that large numbers of people apply for jobs even on the other side of the country and don't respond to callbacks because their only real reason for applying is to continue receiving unemployment insurance.

    Is there something similar for tenants?

    I ask because one of my rentals is coming vacant and since I advertised it for rent on a popular online platform, people have been submitting applications (which costs money!) and then declining when I ask if they want to actually see the property. This seems like foolish behavior and would only make sense to me if there was some sort of government incentive to do it.

    Can anyone explain these applicants?

    And no, I'm not leasing to any of them; I have better candidates, so no need to derail the thread with advice.

     Are you saying you send an application to a potential renter and it costs you money?


    We require a background check BEFORE we do an application. It’s handled via apartments dot com.  The potential tenant pays 

    We simply text the link to the potential tenant

    based upon the results we choose one    

    We don’t even do an application.   We text them a copy of the lease 

    If they say yes  We only show the house to those people they give the money and sign when they see the place and they get the keys 

    So far so good 10+ years 

    But our houses are unique and there is nothing else like them available within miles and miles 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 327 votes
    5y

    No, @Michael Plante, I am not sending them applications. As I said in my initial post, they are paying to apply via a popular online service.

    @Colleen F.'s explanation makes some sense, though it's still strange for them to phrase their response as I quoted in this thread title rather than simply saying they're not interested.

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 731 votes
    5y

    @James Free, note: I typically use FB Marketplace or Zillow.  In the past, I'll get a lot of 'interest emails' and most don't respond.  These are on free sites so I expect it.

    My thought would be applicants throwing many lines out there, or the listing site requires them to use up all 10 requests.  Which site is it?

  • Chad HalePro Member
    Property Manager / Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 779 posts · 301 votes
    5y

    @James Free Make it clear in your advertisement that they must see the property in person before applying and that you only accept your application form.  Same for credit reports.  Run your own. 

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @James Free

    They could be applying and then looking for you to slip up on your wording and rejecting them so they can sue you. There are some people that do this full-time with no intention of ever renting a place they just try to look for people that will say something like not willing to rent a section 8 or something else and then sue you. Know the laws and be careful what you say or don't say. Sadly there is a similar thing occurring in Eastern Washington with a scumbag and his buddy lawyer that drive around to businesses that they never even go to and Sue over ADA discrimination if doors on old buildings are too small or there isn't a ramp etc.

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Are they applying on Zillow? My experience with them is you get A LOT of people that blindly respond that don't even read the advertisement. I'm talking about 93/94 percent. Then when I aske them basic things like do you smoke...and they say they didn't see that in the ad it is almost comical since that is literally the first sentence in the add, "No Smokers".

    Craigslist is definitely much better.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    These may be folks whom, if you met in person, you wouldn't want as a tenant.  Thus the hope is that by not actually having to meet you they can "slip into" your place.

    My policy is that everyone who is interested must view the available rental property.  If they are coming long distance I either suggest that they make plans to come to the area with several rental places to view in mind or (we are close to an Army base) a friend, relative or army buddy come and view and then report back to the applicant.

    But I want to "eyeball" folks that want to rent from me.

    And yes; most people who respond to the ads on FB Marketplace, etc. never read through the ad.

    Gail

  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    @Chad Hale

    That’s what we do. I totally agree.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.