Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Votes |
Rent Collection with COZY

Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted Feb 2 2020, 05:01

I’m looking for an automatic rent payment solution.  I have used a couple of other vendors.  I here good things regarding COZY.  Please comment on your experiences both positive and negative.

User Stats

Votes
Jon A.
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Feb 2 2020, 07:12

I currently use cozy for rent collection and advertising my units and screening. It is easy to navigate and I don't even have to talk to my tenants. It has automatic late fees that can be added and a copy of the lease can be uploaded if you wish and can require and offer tenants renters insurance before accepting payments. For the most part, it makes my life easy. 

Now for the downside, even with express payout enabled on all of my units at about $3.00 per payment, the ACH process just takes way too long. I understand that this is just the banking system in general and all my tenants would rather process ACH payments instead of paying the fee for using a debit card, but in NC there is a 5 day grace period. So, if a tenant is running late and pays on the 5th of the month, and the 5th lands on a Saturday, and the ACH payment can take 3-4 business days to process then I don't receive payment until the 9th or 10th of the month, which means I have to float the mortgage in the meantime. Not a problem for everyone but it can be for me. 

Also, I had a tenant that claimed online fraudulent activity on their bank account. While the tenant had paid on time and the money had been deposited into my account, it was pulled back out of my account in the middle of the month per federal law. If that payment had been made any other way besides online, it would not have been given back to the tenant. Couple that event with the fact that the tenant was now behind on the rent and I had to file for eviction,it put me 3 months into a process that typically takes 30 days here in NC. Granted, I gave him too much time to settle the late rent because he was a vet and his benefits alone qualified him for the rental without even working, and I actually believed that online fraud was out of his control and his bank would honor his claim. Well, it took a few weeks before I started to understand that this wasn't going to happen. 

Lastly, a tenant can pay a partial payment on rent which can delay an eviction if one is needed. I may just go back to the way I used to do it, which is cash/check/ or money order in my mailbox by the 5th. What initially attracted me to Cozy was the tenant screening, but the last application I had took several days for the background check, which is too long in our environment where landlords don't even call each other about past residencies and some will just rent to people sight/unseen without any screening whatsoever. 

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Feb 2 2020, 08:07

Thanks Jon for your detailed analysis.  I appreciate the feedback.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!