Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Lifetime warranty on flooring

Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Posted

Has anyone bought flooring for a rental that had a lifetime warranty? I've noticed some companies (Armstrong, Mohawk) offer lifetime warranties against tears or stains, but was wondering what the catch was.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Hank
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Virginia
Replied

If you have a warranty issue they have a list of ways to get out.
Claim is moisture was out of there specs at installation depending on the issue.
Claim the routine cleaning was not done according to the warranty instructions.
Most companies have a foot note that says “lifetime” = 50 years.
You will also see “under normal house hold use”.

User Stats

Votes
Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied

Sounds like they could easily void the warranty in a rental property.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Blackford
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied

I would bet that once they find that the house is a rental, they would deny any claim made.

User Stats

Votes
Uwe K.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied

These warranties are not worth a penny in my opinion. And it doesn't matter if it's lifetime or 3 lifetimes, or five years or ten years.
I've never had a claim, at least I've never tried. And I've never read the brochures you could get after the first paragraph. "Could get" because they are not offered voluntarily, and once I found one by accident in the store (Lowes), I read a but about the stain warranty, and there is always a loophole for them (even with cut pile carpet.... :)
Stain warranty for example, you have to professionally clean it (not renting, but getting Stanley etc. in ) once a year AND once the stain occurs. And then they only replace the value of the life left I think (of 7 years or so).
All that cleaning and the miniscule value of replacement makes it pretty useless in my eyes.

I only use those numbers to gauge the "wearabiilty". Longer warranty, it may last a bit longer. But then we're talking about renters, and all the common sense is thrown out.

User Stats

Votes
John H.
  • Massachusetts, MA
Votes |
  • Massachusetts, MA
Replied

A quick search into Mohawk and Armstrong and I see they only offer residential lifetime guarantees. In a rental, it looks like they only warranty it for 5 years.

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/customer-care/warranties.aspx

http://www.armstrong.com/content2/flooring/files/60252.pdf

User Stats

Votes
Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied

I'm trying to come up with a durable flooring that will last longer than carpet. I thought maybe if the product has a lifetime warranty than it must be very durable and I'd pay the extra costs for it.

User Stats

Votes
Uwe K.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied

Unless it's your own home, don't bother. cat pee and baby poop stains beats any type warranty.
I remember a recent thread maybe a week or two ago where flooring was discussed here. Have to run and BP search isn't working again, let me know if you don't find it. General trend was towards hardwood and laminate, as a quick summary.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied

Uwe K. - see the "Related Discussions" at the bottom of this page to find the thread you were thinking about.

User Stats

Votes
Uwe K.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied

Here is the thread I meant. Contains actually some other items, too:
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/77534-rehabbing-for-rental-properties

Steve, I always forget about the the "related" section. But in this case it wasn't included anyway. It's a little bit like the Google video suggestions: You start out watching how to change your brake pads, three "related" videos later you watch an Airbus landing in a strong cross wind... :)

User Stats

Votes
Chris K.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied

I'm fixing up my rental now and I've been doing alot of reading on flooring. Im going to end up going with Vinyl plank flooring. They can get it wet or whatever they want and it's durable and easy to clean.

User Stats

Votes
Dale Osborn
  • Mobile Home Investor
  • Spanaway, WA
Votes |
  • Mobile Home Investor
  • Spanaway, WA
Replied

The warranties are as worthless as the Home Warranties pitched for SFRs. Many people get into the Home warranty only because it was pushed by the real estate agent who gets a kickback for each policy sold. Quite a conflict of interest that you do not have with the flooring.

User Stats

Votes
Mark H.
  • SFR Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied
Originally posted by Dale Osborn:
The warranties are as worthless as the Home Warranties pitched for SFRs. Many people get into the Home warranty only because it was pushed by the real estate agent who gets a kickback for each policy sold. Quite a conflict of interest that you do not have with the flooring.

There's a long warranty on the laminate @ Costco, I can't remember exactly how long even, but quite long for a product that sells @ under $2 sq/ft. I kinda figured I'd "win" on that warranty, because Costco usually steps in & helps in the event you need a warranty, but so far I haven't needed it - it's been down for over three years with no scratches or scuffs - even with a large dog in the house.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ed O.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Statewide, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Statewide, MO
Replied

Shanequa J.

The most successful landlord I know uses and endlessly swears by Allure flooring. It's at Home Depot and sells for $1.60 a foot and up. The install is pretty easy and quick. The durability everyone swears by. Also, you can replace a damaged section without wasting the whole floor. It's at least worth checking it out. The people I know that have used it, swear by it. They sell it in tile pattern and in a simulated hardwood look and maybe more patterns..

User Stats

Votes
Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied

This is a hard decision to make. Today, I went to the store and keyed some laminate flooring samples to see how it would hold up. The Mohawk and Prestige held up the best; no scratches. I'll try the vinyl planks next. In the end it will come down to price and durability. The laminates had 15-25 year warranties and is cheaper per sq ft than the vinyl planks.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied

Shanequa J. - in my area, the local WalMart uses vinyl plank - that is what convinced me that it is durable. Go to your nearest WalMart and see if they use it too. With vinyl plank, the color goes all the way through (at least the ones I have bought had this), so even if you gouge it with a key, it still doesn't show like other flooring with just a surface color.

User Stats

Votes
Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied

Steve Babiak What brand do you use because I think the Allure has a wear layer?