Roof and Chimney Issue with Inspector and Contractor

Roof and Chimney Issue with Inspector and Contractor

Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 19 votes

Hi All,

So I recently had a roof replaced that had two chimneys.  I had several quotes and many of them said it needed to be done and redecked and that the two chimneys should be removed as well because that is easier and better for future leaks, etc.  Well the lovely West Allis, WI inspector comes in and says well those chimney need to be put back or properly abandoned down to the basement.  The contractors only took off the chimney from the roof.  So basically he said I have two options: rebuild the chimneys or demo the chimneys all the way down to the basement and so it would it would require going through all four units.  What do you guys suggest I do or has anyone run into this problem?  Is there some way I can go above the inspector or get a new inspector?  Should I be the one paying the additional $7000 to rebuild the two chimneys, or it's really on the contractor right?  Is this an insurance type claim?  I called the contractor and he said it is very ridiculous as the gas appliances are property vented to the exterior now without using the chimney and the chimney is no longer being used.  The inspector says well in the future, If I sell the property, someone might be able to hook up appliances to the chimney and cause carbon monoxide issues.

Thanks,

Brandon

0Reply
36 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2017 · 238 posts · 200 votes
    6y

    @Brandon V.

    Thank you for bringing this up as I will need to demo a chimney soon.

    Even though your contractor recommended taking down the chimney, you (the owner) are responsible to adhering to building code. 

    Building the chimney's back up would be a waste. Taking the chimney's down to the basement is the correct solution (though costly). The good news is that taking the chimney's down can free up space in the apartments. 

    Did the inspector give you a deadline to when this needs to be completed? Because your appliances are properly vented, there doesn't seem to be much urgency to have it done. Just be careful, now that this issue is in the know, any incidents will be identified as a willful violation.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    What about sealing them at the Base too?   Is that acceptable?  Not a contractor but it seems like there might be a less extreme solution. Eventually you might want to regain the lost space and completely remove them but the safety question is resolve if they are sealed. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.