Votes
Oliver Ham
  • Sarnia, ON
Votes |
Does landlord pay for bills or tenant (gas, electric, water, garb

Oliver Ham
  • Sarnia, ON
Posted Aug 27 2019, 11:58

I will be house hacking at University in Canada and wanted to know if I should pay for all the bills( gas, electric, water, garbage) or have them pay some other way. The tenants will be people I pick and would be friends I meet there and get along with. I would be very happy if someone that has house hacked with people they know could give any advice

User Stats

Votes
Anthony W.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 27 2019, 12:07

@Oliver Ham I would do my best to push as much cost off to the others you are house hacking with. In your situation it all depends on how appealing your want to make the offer for them to stay with you. Remember that you are house hacking and the point is to make money or at best live for free. I personally would surcharge them all the same amount on utilities (i.e $50 flat rate for electric) and if its over the bill amount then perfect you have some profit. 

User Stats

Votes
Oliver Ham
  • Sarnia, ON
Votes |
  • Sarnia, ON
Replied Aug 27 2019, 12:28

@Anthony W. Thank you very much for responding. In the last sentence do you mean that I would for example charge them each $50 for electric and that if the total bill for electric is less than what they paid me in total, then that's where you mean I have some profit? Also should I surcharge them $150 flat rate for (gas, water, electric, garbage) making it a package, do you think that would be the best approach? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Aug 27 2019, 12:32

@Oliver Ham  Find out how much the expenses are and then divide those by the number of people in the home.  Remember to look at the average over the entire year (preferably for 2 years).  Include that as part of the rent.  So if you are renting a room for $500 plus utilities and utilities are $50 a month, instead charge $550 a month including utilities.  At the end of their one year lease, go back and figure out if that $50 was enough and if not, increase the rent for the following year's lease.

User Stats

Votes
Oliver Ham
  • Sarnia, ON
Votes |
  • Sarnia, ON
Replied Aug 27 2019, 12:38

@Theresa Harris Thank you very much that makes sense

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Dahill
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Aug 27 2019, 14:09

@Oliver Ham, always push utilities on the tenants if possible.  They're a variable expense; more usage will cost you.

If I understood correctly, this is more of a roommate scenario.  When I house hacked and had 2 buddies as roommates, we split the utilities evenly.  Make sure to communicate responsibilities you have as Landlord vs. Tenant/Roommate.  Just because it's your house doesn't make you responsible for everything.

User Stats

Votes
Meghan Chomut
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thunder Bay, ON
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thunder Bay, ON
Replied Aug 27 2019, 15:46

I like the idea of just adding up the utilities from the previous year, divide by 12 to get your monthly amount and then split it up equally per housemate. Then add it to the rent. It's such a pain the butt to split it up as the utility bills come in. And there's always a jerk housemate that uses WAY more water, is careless about electricity and that just causes animosity sometimes.

User Stats

Votes
Oliver Ham
  • Sarnia, ON
Votes |
  • Sarnia, ON
Replied Aug 27 2019, 17:11

@Kenny Dahill Thanks for the response, this seems like a good way. How did it work when you did it, were there any issues?

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Dahill
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Aug 27 2019, 17:14

It worked fine. Biggest issue was the lack of support in lawn maintenance.

Although the one time I tried to help a friend by including utilities, he took complete advantage of me. Our summer electric bills went from $220 to $340.  So I learned my lesson.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony W.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 27 2019, 20:49

@Oliver Ham yep you got it that is exactly what i mean. I see that others have helped you alot. Ultimately you hold the power because you are the landlord. Good luck and happy house hacking.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Marshall
  • Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Replied Aug 28 2019, 05:55

I include the utilities cost as a $100 flat fee included in the rent. I have 3 roommates in a ~2000 sqft house (in Florida, so summer bills run higher). This includes electricity, water, and gas. I don't include wi-fi, trash pick-up, lawn, or pool maintenance, since I'd have to pay that regardless of whether I had roommates or not. Luckily I have not experienced what @Kenny Dahill has with a roommate taking advantage of included utilities. I find that including the utilities in the rent is easier for everyone, and roommates can budget accordingly, without the varying cost from month to month. Plus less of a headache for me to split it up!

User Stats

Votes
Rita Medeiros
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pompano beach, Fl
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pompano beach, Fl
Replied Aug 28 2019, 08:26

@Nicole Marshall Come to our women’s group tonight ft Lauderdale listed on events page.