Do you rekey when turning over a rental?

Do you rekey when turning over a rental?

Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I always rekey all the doors in my rentals when I flip the units for a new tenant as I always worry about the liability of keys floating around. 

What is your practice ? 

What would be a landlords liability if a key from a previous tenant was used to break in and steal? 

10Reply
385 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
7y

I've installed smartkey locks on all my rentals and rekey everytime.

See this reply in the discussion

104 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Mary Mitchell

    As previously stated, we use the ‘Kwikset SmartKey’ locks that make rekeying incredibly easy. For those who want to save even more money you can use an older set of keys on an entirely different house.

    Here’s a 17 second video showing how:

    https://www.kwikset.com/videos/how-to/smartkey-rekey.aspx

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Mark Hughes It might be questionable but I was just disagreeing with the premise of "somebody's gonna come back and break in" because that just doesn't happen as often as people think. If I buy a house and I go to closing and I get a set of keys for it and I go to the home and all the keys work and the door lock's are in good shape I leave them. That's a scenario where I'm not going to change out the lock's it seems absolutely pointless to me. I would actually consider that a score and be slightly excited because I just save a 100 bucks. Of course if I have an eviction and I have to actually saw the locks off to get back into my own home then yes I have to change them because I just cut them in half. If a great tenant is moving out because their job is relocating to Michigan or something and all the existing locks work, I'm not changing them because nobody's coming back to break in. If I was a property manager that managed hundreds and hundreds of homes then yes my practice would be to change them out every single time but that's not my individual scenario.
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Mark Hughes And to answer the original question, no, I honestly could care less or even have a shred of worry about what I am posting. I do things my own way and I share some of my stories on this forum, everybody does things their own way and I encourage different viewpoints and different practices but it doesn't mean I have to agree with them all and vice versa. It actually feels great having no worry or concern maybe everybody should try it... If somebody wants to break into one of my rental houses because they got on here and viewed my post then so be it go ahead and break in and then I'll call the police and file a report and then I will file an insurance claim for damages...its that simple...
  • Property Manager · Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 170 posts · 59 votes
    7y

    @Mary M. we always rekey for new tenants. We use a land lord lock system. It allows us to keep the handles and deadbolts on the door. The only thing that get changed out is the cylinder. After the equipment is installed it literally takes 30 seconds to rekey a property, plus making or getting a new set of keys copied for the next tenants. Message me if you have any questions about the specific product.

    Thanks,

    Drew

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I have transitioned to electronic key entries. Anytime a tenant moves out, I change the code. I never have to worry about lost or stolen keys again!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Programmable locks. Yes.


  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    You will definitely be named in any lawsuit and you will have a lot of time and emotional energy wasted. That’s super expensive.

    Just install digital locks and remove the issue. It’s 2019 now. Get rid of keys.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    7y

    The programmable locks are at least $40 but typically closer to $100 and I would think the tenant would still want the key in case the double A batteries dies. A regular deadbolt is about $10. I could see maybe using the programmable locks on something like an airbnb but then I would also want a way to change the code remotely.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    @George Skidis

    As a former locksmith - I very much appreciate the detail you go into with your response.

    If you have a significant number of properties to manage - getting a locksmith to set you up with a matrix is an incredible means of security management. Most corporations use features like this for this very reason.

    Schlage tends to be the go-to brand for these types of services; their cylinders have 9 key depths vs kwikset having 5. When done properly, you can change a lock as fast or faster than a smart key kwikset system.

    I’m not trying to endorse either brand; both have standards and math says that 9 combinations x 5 or 6 cuts in a key vastly increases security over a 5x5(6 in some kwikset) matrix. Think of KW as the residential level and Schlage as commercial.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Julie Marquez:

    Along with the rekeying question, how does everyone lock their doors? I do the deadbolt lock system with a passage lever so that no one can lock their keys in the house.

    This is a great idea. I have done it on some of my units that were further away from home, but will be switching all to non-locking doorknobs on the front entry door as they turn over. I have had one tenant lock themselves out of the house twice in the last year.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Mary Mitchell I always rekey. No exceptions.

  • Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Yes, always re-key for reasons already posted.

    But, to each his/her own for the method chosen to change the locks. We all have different scenarios, preferences, and amounts of time & money we are willing to spend on our properties or in paying a 3rd party to do this for us. The end result is all the same..... different set of keys (or digital code) needed to open the locks for your new tenant.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Rekeying is cheap insurance and a good policy , however if someone wants in ,a typical doorlock is only going to keep an honest man honest . The assailant will easily find a way to get inside if they really want to steal ,rape ,or kill someone in the building . There’s usually half a dozen other ways to get into a house besides the front door

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:

    Rekeying is cheap insurance and a good policy , however if someone wants in ,a typical doorlock is only going to keep an honest man honest . The assailant will easily find a way to get inside if they really want to steal ,rape ,or kill someone in the building . There’s usually half a dozen other ways to get into a house besides the front door

    Yes if someone wants in they will get in. But I can’t stop that.

    I can only control my actions.  As such I can stop my liability for negligence by rekeying the second someone moves out.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries  you might consider just have the locks rekeyed. This is $6 here , $12 if you have a master/slave lock system. 

  • Specialist · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    Rekey but it is easy using Landlordlocks.com.  You just change the tumblers. Takes 15 seconds per lock.   You have a special master key that allows the guts to be pulled out and anew one reinserted.  They are numbered so you always know what lock number is on each house.  Plus you can insert a contractor key tumbler so that when they are doing construction you don't have to worry about meeting them or about them copying keys either.  When they are finished just remove the contractor tumbler and put in the new tenant set. All keys for all houses are different but they all match a Master key for you.  Now you only have to carry one key on your ring.

    Make your life simple! 

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Mary Mitchell

    I used to rekey then realized it was a good investment to just get the keys that have the do not copy stamp on them.

    The time and gas I spent rekeying adds up.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    I manage over 650 units and every single one has a Kwikset SmartKey lock.  We change the key during every turnover.

  • Realtor · Rootstown, OH · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    I always rekey, all doors.

  • Real Estate Agent · Phila, PA · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Mary Mitchell good point anyone have recommendations on rent by the room situations?

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I have multiple lock sets from units I've bought and my own home...buy a unit , pull the locks, throw them in a bag together with the keys and store them.... put a different lock in that unit....and rotate each time. So a used lock in a new unit.....Works for us small timers than only have a couple of units.....would be a PITA for people that have lots of units

    I'm planning on going electronic next time I want to do a new lock

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Using Mr. Landlord locks and the Smart Key system are both good systems. As a property manager, some of my owners use one or the other. If they do not have them installed, I change them to one or the other, their choice . It saves money for the owners as you do not have to purchase locks every time a resident moves out or have to use ones that do not look attractive from wear and tear or try to color match. Some of my rentals have 1, 2 or 3 outside doors.  Also I only use locking dead bolts not locking knobs. So the knobs do not have to be changed..

  • Rental Property Investor · Lone Tree, CO · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Mary M. I always rekey my properties. As many have suggested, installing keypad locks can be an initial investment, but I have found it to be the very best way. 

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    If you rekey the home, are you also changing the code on the garage door and keypad? 

    For those of you in bigger cities or crime-ridden neighborhoods, this makes sense. But the truth is, if a former tenant wanted into a former rental, they could break a window just as easy as they could walk in the door. Entering someone's home is a crime and the overwhelming vast majority of  human beings are not criminals so there's little risk of it happening.

    In my area, I estimate at least half the residents don't even lock their doors. However, a large percentage also have weapons at the ready and know how to use them. I think that's more of a deterrent to home invasion than a lock change.

    I have to say I disagree with the idea that someone would break a window as easily as they would walk in with a key.  One attracts attention,  one does not.  And @Mark Fries,  it's not just the good tenant who moved to Michigan you have to think about.  It's friends, relatives, cleaning people that tenant might have made a copy for who are STILL AROUND.  Hope it never happens that something bad happens because of your "no worry" attitude,  because if it does,  you're going to be in a world of regret.  Rekeying is incredibly cheap insurance.

  • Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 655 posts · 293 votes
    7y

    Class b- and below, I use Smartkey locks, which allows you to easily rekey a lock in a matter of minutes and at no cost - my handymen do it at my properties. Class b and above, starting to install electronic locks upon unit turn overs. ALWAYS good to start new when a tenant vacates. 

    A couple of things about the liability - If someone were to go back into their old unit, obviously there would be no forced entry. The police would ask the current tenants who else has keys. Even if they are certain they haven't allowed anyone to take a key (and possibly make a copy), they police aren't going to know for certain. But.. the tenants will likely suspect the next logical answer, which is the locks hadn't been reset, and will they connect it to a previous tenant and then to you. Not easy to then prove, unless the culprit is caught, but will certainly cause stress and trouble with your current tenants

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.