Cars left in Parking area

Cars left in Parking area

Investor · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 673 votes

I own an office building with parking spaces reserved only for tenants and their customers during business hours. In the last month or so, as I drove by the property at night and during the week end, I noticed that some people who work there have been leaving their cars in the parking lot, at the same spot for days.

At my instructions, Property Management dropped a letter to all tenants reminding them that only business vehicles are allowed to stay overnight. Other vehicles must provided a business reason why, and give a date when they will be removed. 

The tenants responded to the PM that vehicles that look like personal vehicles are business vehicles. I have a feeling they are trying to pull my leg.

Is there a way to figure out if a vehicle is a business vehicle or a personal car? Why would someone leave their vehicles in the office parking lot? Is there any type of liability I'm exposing myself to, by accepting personal cars to just stay there overnight?

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 129 votes
    8y
    @Henri Meli They could be pool vehicles that employees use for errand running or business trips.
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    A thought is to issue limited business or company car sticker and ask them to put on the windows. Tow all the rest them away at their expense. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.