Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Cornwell#1 Real Estate Success Stories Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Tenant Screening Reccomendations

• Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Jan 25 2017, 01:38

Calling all landlords,

I would love to get feedback on what other landlords are using for tenant screening services. Company or service referrals, cost, pros, cons? I will be renting both units in my first duplex in the near future and I plan on using a professional screening service for background, credit, and criminal history. Has anyone had issues with good tenants paying an application fee? I am in the Cincinnati, Ohio market. Thank you for your input!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Feb 19 2018, 16:02
Originally posted by @Joseph Cornwell:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. Almost exactly one year later, I can report I chose Cozy.co for my tenant screening. It is a little bit more expensive (tenants pay), but they provide a credit report, eviction, criminal history, references, job history. So it makes the screening process very easy for landlords to do a thorough job. What I like most is that tenants can then set up automatic rent payments through their bank accounts after being approved. Both of my units pay automatically online, I never collect rent. I know on the 1st of the month if the payment was made, and I get a direct deposit a few days later. Cozy has been amazing for me, and so far the past 9 months or so my tenants have been amazing also. I hope all of you have found the same success this past year!

Joe Cornwell

Thank you for coming back to update 

Glad you like it

Does it allow tenants to make partial payments?

Does the screening include income verification?

How much does the tenant pay for the screening?

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Feb 19 2018, 18:04

@Michael Plante

It notifies me what the payment amount is pending for on the first of the month, so I suppose it would allow them to make a lower payment? However, the rent amount is set by you and it shows them that amount each month. It does not actually verify income but it does require you put in current and previous employer information with contact information, so not only did I require copies of pay stubs, I also contacted the employers to verify employment with their HR as well. The application fee was $40 dollars for each tenant over 18. 

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Investor Focused Lender. Claim $550 Credit today. Instant PreQual letters, Rapid Refinances, 13k+ 4.85 Star Reviews & $550 lender credit available now

User Stats

Votes
Ethan Rozenfeld
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Replied Apr 28 2018, 15:54

We have been using Tenant Background Search for three years, but I was very unhappy today to discover that they only reported 11 out of 20 offenses for a recent applicant. When I went to my local clerk of court website this morning to look further, I discovered the additional offenses, including a domestic battery charge they had not reported that was less than 4 years old and an eviction proceeding less than 2 years old, neither of which were included in the report from TBS. They reported a DUI and several traffic violations, but I really need to know about an eviction and domestic battery conviction more than a speeding ticket. I am now looking into SmartMove and Cozy. Other suggestions are welcome!