Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Christina Brown
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
Dog poop from neighbors dog

Christina Brown
  • Anchorage, AK
Posted Nov 15 2016, 13:07

I have a duplex with a shared front walkway with our neighbors. The neighbor (also a lawyer if that makes a difference) likes to let them run loose in his (and my) front yard. He asked if this was ok prior to doing it and we said yes as long as there was no pooping in our yard. Every time I am out there now I am picking up poop. I've hard more than one discussion about it and he says sorry and asked if I wanted to share the costs of a fence. I don't really feel it's my responsibility to keep his dogs out of my yard and he should be the one putting up the fence. But he has been nice about and kind of tries to clean up afterwards. And now I have noticed my tenant bringing her dog to the front to do his business, I think she has seen the neighbor dogs doing it and thinks it's ok. I don't want to start a neighbor war but I'm really sick of cleaning up poop when I have no dogs of my own. Anyone else dealt with anything similar? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Deanna McCormick
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:14

Give them both a poop scoop for early christmas gift.

Let neighbor know the problem is out of control and an unleashed dog is also.

Let tenant know if the dog is in the front yard she will have one foot out the door. 

Animal control could be called on the neighbor.. and I'd make it a point to do just that. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:29

When you agree to let a dog run around in your yard, chances are it is going to poop there, sooner or later. It's not like the owner is secretly telling his dog to do it. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Brendan R.
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:32

Good fences make good neighbors. - Frost

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:41

What I have done in the past, when I have had a issue with tenants not picking up, is pour bacon or any other grease on the poop. The owners dog is generally pretty eager to pick up their own poop and the owner of the dog gets the message quickly. I try to put the grease on the poop when the owner is near by so when they ask what I am doing I can explain that I am training dogs to pick up after themselves. 

User Stats

Votes
Deanna McCormick
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:46

@Thomas S.

Ya that's the best reply I've ever heard. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 15 2016, 13:47

Dogs are going to poop in your yard. It might not be your neighbor, but someone will. This is part of living in society. If this bothers you, Id suggest maybe condo living.

User Stats

Votes
Christina Brown
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
  • Anchorage, AK
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:52

Thanks for the input. I have been leaning towards putting a fence up but not looking forward to the expense, most of it is already fenced though. Or maybe eat more bacon!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fox
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Votes |
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:57

Like a good neighbor, stay over there!

@Thomas S.

Oh... my... god...  I'm scouring the neighborhood for dog poop with bacon grease in tow when I get home.  Hahahaha, that's great.

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Memphis
  • Investor
  • Englewood, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Englewood, CO
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:58

You're in Alaska. Keep a polar bear in your yard. Next door poochie will stay away.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Henry
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 15 2016, 13:58
Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

What I have done in the past, when I have had a issue with tenants not picking up, is pour bacon or any other grease on the poop. The owners dog is generally pretty eager to pick up their own poop and the owner of the dog gets the message quickly. I try to put the grease on the poop when the owner is near by so when they ask what I am doing I can explain that I am training dogs to pick up after themselves. 

There should be an unvote function...

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Romine
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Replied Nov 15 2016, 14:34

That neighbor is a distraction.  Pay a vagrant to collect and store the crap for 1 year and then deliver it to them wrapped up as a present.

Frank

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied Nov 15 2016, 14:59

I too would look into a fence installed by a professional 

and ask the tenant to share the expense. 

It also will be a selling point to Jen next tenant

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Nov 15 2016, 15:28

Chit happens

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Nicoletto
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Nov 15 2016, 16:28

@Russell Brazil - Nawh... I've lived in condos all my life until I moved to OKC. I was on the HOA board of a luxury building in San Francisco and you would be surprised at how many people will let their dogs pop and pee in the common areas (killing very expensive plantings). But a couple of cameras streamed to the building website with the threat of $$$ fines made everyone behave just a little bit better. (Fun tip: Tenants in those buildings love to narc on each other for sport.)

I agree with everyone that said build a fence - especially since it is your primary residence.

You aren't going to win here. You're dealing with an attorney and a pretty selfish one at that. 

You've discussed it and he's still doing it. It's going to drive you crazy and you've got bigger fish to fry... you're building your business and all the stress and energy you are pouring into this is taking away from that. Share the cost of the fence.  Get and estimate and then get it in writing that he's going to cover 1/2 half the price before it's started.

As for your tenant, let her know what she is doing is absolutely unacceptable. If it persists, have her sign an addendum to her lease for a dog poop removal service so that you can bill her monthly and let her know that her lease will not be renewed. (I checked and there are a bunch of poop removal services in Anchorage.)

@Thomas S.  That might be a "solution", but it's not the dog's fault - it's the owner's. 

Why be mean to the dog? That's pretty crappy (pun intended...) 

User Stats

Votes
William Reid
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Nov 16 2016, 08:36

Here is a method I like to use.  Low cost and easy to DIY. 

Put cayenne pepper, black pepper, and all the hot spices you can find and mix them all in a jar.  Then line your entire yard with the pepper mix.  You will have to do it after each time it rains.  I have done this at every place I have lived with a yard.  Dogs like to keep their nose to the ground and once they get a whiff of that spicy mix, they won't ever come near that yard again.  Works like a charm.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Nov 16 2016, 09:50

@Thomas S. that is so disgustingly brilliant that I am equal parts appalled and in awe!  Gives new perspective to letting a dog lick your face