Neighbor Pushed To The Edge, Threating Violence

Neighbor Pushed To The Edge, Threating Violence

Asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 10 votes

I recently bought a duplex, I live in one side, three college aged men live in the other.

The neighbor next door, has complained about the noise they have been making. The various complains come every couple of months. One time my tenants were recording using amplified instruments, which was way too loud. I told them to stop, they stopped. Other times it has been various things like yelling outside late at night, blocked his drive way or tonight he said they slammed their side entrance door and woke him up. I talk to them when he makes a complaint about a particular situation and they know that the neighbor complains about the noise.

I am at a loss what to do. I want my neighbor to be happy. He is a nice older man with health problems that cause him constant pain. The tenants make loud noise so intermittently, every couple months based on my neighbors complains, that it does not seem like an a huge problem to me. But from my neighbors perspective (from my observations) it is like chinese water torture and he is just waiting for the next drop to come. And it has pushed him to the point where tonight he told me if they bother him again he will psychically harm them.

Can you offer advice to what my course of action should be?

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Once the neighbor kills them, you're problems are over (except the lawsuits). The neighbor will be in jail and you'll be getting new tenants.
    Problem solved!

    On a more serious note, I would tell the neighbor to call the police everytime the tenants cause problems. I would tell the tenants that the neighbor is going to call the police everytime they cause trouble. Finally, and most importantly, I would MOVE! The last thing on this planet I would want is to live by the tenants! YUK!

    Mike

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2009 · 391 posts · 257 votes
    17y

    That is precisely why my wife and I sold our duplexes. Not exactly the same situation but we had continual problems between tenants. We now only own single family homes and that has worked much better for us..
    I agree with Mike about having the neighbor call the police. Review your lease, we had a clause concerning police complaints. Our worst situation was not resolved until their lease expired and I did not renew although they begged us to renew their lease.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Here's what happens when landlords don't control unruly tenants and the neighbors complain:

    Others step in who WILL address the issue.

    Neighborhood groups, for instance, who will take this up with city council members. Your tenants don't vote, and you only have one vote (you evil landlord, you).

    Then the municipality will potentially enact such things as Landlord Registration, punitive fines aimed at YOU (even though it wasn't you yelling at three in the morning), zoning restrictions, and so on. And who's to say your neighbor might not sneak over late at night and vindictively puncture a tenant's tire?

    And yeah, I've seen all that.

    Sorry there's no easy answer here for you. If your tenants' parents have signed a guarantee, you might confer with them, and point out that a breach of the lease is cause for eviction, and that the parents will still be on the hook for the rent.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2008 · 228 posts · 13 votes
    17y

    Donny,

    First off, you want to be sensitive to the situation since you live there with your tenants. If you call the police, it will create tension between you and your tenants, you don't want that. When is the noise occurring, during the day, late at night? Does your lease agreement say anything about noise control? Buy a spiral pocket notebook and document the situation. If it gets ugly, this notebook will save you in court. Slamming door, thats how are tenants are, you learn to accept it. Have you seen them blocking his driveway? You tell your neighbor to call parking control, give him the contact number. Your tenants must be good tenants because you never mentioned it bothered you, only your neighbor.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.