Need eviction advice (damage to building, etc)

Need eviction advice (damage to building, etc)

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes

I have a tenant who has been there over a year and has become addicted to heroine and is causing a lot of problems.  I want to evict him ASAP.  This is what he has done:

1. A female prostitute lives with him and makes him money.

2. Another man lives with them too.

3. Sells heroine to a constant stream of cars.

4. I get constant noise complaints about them. 

5. Damaged his door when he and the prostitute were fighting (I took pictures and fixed the door).

6. Damaged my dryer hose so he could run an extension cord to the basement to steal my electricity (I took pictures).

I gave him notice that I am ending his lease effective June 30.  A voucher pays his rent and they will stop after June.  #6 above happened last night.  I will call the police today.  I'm not sure in Ohio if I need a 3-day notice to vacate and not 30 days for #6.  I know I can wait until July 1 and evict him but he is tearing up the building and I will lose other tenants if I don't act more quickly.  Help.

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    You need to read @Brandon Turner's recent blog "How to Evict a Tenant: The Definitive Step-by-Step Guide."

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/?p=72768

    Secure the services of a qualified and effective attorney who specializes in evictions now!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    What is his voucher for?  Most government agencies that provide rent vouchers probably frown upon criminal behavior and/or damaging a landlord's property.  Contact the voucher provider and notify them of your complaints.

    And of course, first and foremost, continue with any and all plans for eviction.  I was thinking of the voucher provider as an extra way to ensure the tenant's departure.

  • Investor · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    As Randy said, look into the voucher you mentioned. If it's some kind of government program, you should look into that type of eviction process. I know with section 8 recipients you need to do it through the judicial system to be able to evict a tenant. Look into Ohio eviction law to do it as quickly as possible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.