Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Heidi M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Dishwasher in a rental

Heidi M.
  • Reno, NV
Posted

I am in the process of renovating a kitchen that was trashed by a previous tenant that I inherited.  The kitchen is small and there was previously no dishwasher.  Will not providing a dishwasher make it difficult to rent? 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Camaglia
  • Chagrin Falls, OH
Votes |
  • Chagrin Falls, OH
Replied

I only have a dishwasher in one unit of mine and that was because it was there when I purchased it. Some potential tenants complain - but it's one more thing to break and maintain. 

I would look at comparable units in your area to determine if it is necessary.

User Stats

Votes
Andrea M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hampton, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hampton, VA
Replied

I think it may depend on the price point of the rental

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Kathleen Leary
  • Princeton, KS
Votes |
  • Princeton, KS
Replied

It's totally dependent on what's "normal" in the area. Check out a few other places or make some calls. In some areas, a dishwasher is a perk, but in others it's just about required. If your budget can accommodate it, it might be a nice selling feature for potential tenants, but there are repair costs. There's one in my small SFR, but it was already there. When it dies, I may seriously consider taking it out & adding storage space instead.

User Stats

Votes
John Casmon
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied

Agree with everyone else's comments. Understand what the expectation is and then go from there. 

I just added one to a unit because every other comparable unit in the area has a DW and it was the main verbal drawback from everyone that saw the apartment. Even the tenant that eventually rented it asked about adding a DW and I ended up doing it when they renewed their lease. Nice "gift" for them and helped me justify a rent increase as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Swearingen
  • Georgetown, PA
Votes |
  • Georgetown, PA
Replied

Do a NPV/IRR calc on the dishwasher. Will you be able to charge more for the unit if you install in a dishwasher?

If you can charge more rent: then calculate the the NPV using the cost of the dishwasher as N = 0 and your yearly cashflows will be the extra rent you charge (for ex. $25/month or $300/year).  For your cost of capital use your interest rate on the unit, unless you own it, then use your cost of equity/expected return.  For example: $300 dishwasher, 5 year useful life (tenants break things), 6% interest and $25/month the annual NPV calc works out to a positive $909.16.  In that case I would install it.  Excel has a very user friendly NPV function btw.

If you can't charge more rent: Let's say dishwashers are a standard feature in your market and your competition all have dishwashers at your price point.  I would still only install one if the costs of extra vacancy/decreased rent is greater than the cost of the dishwasher and maintenence.

Also, make sure you or the plumber incorporate the drain from the dishwasher into the sink traps correctly.  I've seen it done wrong quite often.  Otherwise you will get "backed up sink" complaint calls when the dishwasher is running.

-Matt    

User Stats

Votes
Andy Collins
  • SFR Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

I deal in middle class homes, I can't even imagine renting a house without a dishwasher.

I bought one house without one, we waited to add it until the last week, a couple of people saw the house while it was being rehabbed,,,the husbands never notice it wasn't there, the wife always did.

I know I wouldn't live without one, but if its a low income area, and the comps dont have one, don't

andy

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied

except one house, i always have a DW. i have hard time renting the one that does not have it.

they rarely break down and are cheap - $300. install takes 20 mmins

User Stats

Votes
Michele Fischer
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

I'm in the low end of the market, would never install a dishwasher.  Some of my tenants bring portable ones.

I wouldn't want to be without a dishwasher, but recently on a trip we stayed with family who didn't have one.  I washed dishes each evening and it was easier than I thought to get by without it.  It's whatever you're used to and what the market supports.