Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Legal issues with basement rental

Posted Jul 13 2024, 07:43

I have renters who moved in 4 months ago. (They live in my basement apartment) they have broken many things in my contract and have now said they plan on leaving in a month. Our contract is a year long. They said if I show there place for future renters they will get authorities involved. I want to evict them and sue them for the many things they have broken in my contract but I have one concern. I’m not sure my place is for sure legally able to be rented out to 2 adults and 5kids! I need help on what to do and who I may need to talk to.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 13 2024, 09:47
Quote from @Michael Mcdonough:

I have renters who moved in 4 months ago. (They live in my basement apartment) they have broken many things in my contract and have now said they plan on leaving in a month. Our contract is a year long. They said if I show there place for future renters they will get authorities involved. I want to evict them and sue them for the many things they have broken in my contract but I have one concern. I’m not sure my place is for sure legally able to be rented out to 2 adults and 5kids! I need help on what to do and who I may need to talk to.

Get an attorney involved. Based on your message it appears this is very stressful and something you are not experienced in. Let the tenants know going forward all communication should go through your attorney.

The other option is to get a property manager involved as well, but at this point i would go right to an attorney.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 13 2024, 10:01

Take the emotions out of it.  If they are crappy renters (which it sounds like), be thankful that they are leaving early.  Let them leave, repair any damages they did (from their deposit) and get it rented to the next tenant after you find out a few things.  If you aren't sure if it is a legal suite, find out if permits were pulled (or needed) when the kitchen was put in. Talk to the city to see what is needed for a suite and then go through the check list.

for tenants, I'm not sure I would have rented a basement suite to a family of 7-that's asking for trouble giving the size of the space.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jul 14 2024, 07:39

Is your basement apartment up to code?

If not, you may have legal issues trying to evict these tenants.

If yes, just get rid of them and appreciate that you got a cheap lesson to learn from.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 14 2024, 08:16

This is on you. Allowing a family that large in a basement apartment is no bueno and you probably knew it.

Do the basement windows have proper and legal eggress? If not, you need to be bery careful.....if they get the City involved and you have violated Code, you could be in big trouble.

Like @Theresa Harris said, get them out ASAP, clean the place up, make it CODE COMPLIANT get a COO, (Certificate Of Occupancy) and do this right next time.

Just my $0.02