Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Lubin
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Make STR/MTR ADA compliant?

John Lubin
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Jul 2 2024, 19:53

I am purchasing and renovating a house 1 mile from a Mayo Clinic with the intention of making it a STR/MTR. I know a lot of people target the travel nurse demographic, but there are also a lot of patients that come for long-term treatments and need housing.

Does anyone have experience catering to this demographic, and what are your thoughts on making the house ADA compliant?  Should I put in special tubs/showers or just hand bars, and provide a shower seat?  There is on step down to a living area - should I build in a ramp, or just provide a movable aluminum ramp?  

Any other considerations?

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Jul 3 2024, 13:37

You need to check the local laws/ordinances in your municipality first. Look for rules about short term rentals. Patients aren't usually interested in staying too long, so will likely be short term rentals, where traveling nurses will be longer. You should really focus on one or the other.

Again - check your local laws, but I don't expect you'll have a requirement to become fully ADA compliant. Consider your target demographic - if it is hospital patients, then the ADA would be a good set of guidelines so you can cater to them. A lot of patients will be staying in the hospital, while family needs a place to stay.

If the patient is healthy enough to stay outside the hospital, they usually will want to be at home. The exception would be the single night on either end of the hospital stay. That's in general. There are certainly outside cases, but you wouldn't want your business model to focus on that. Families might be your better target. They won't all need special accommodations. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Fries
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jul 4 2024, 02:50

Hi John

There's no requirement for this. If you did it, you would just be doing a good deed. Reach out if you need any help, I am a local contractor and just live down the street from you. Thanks Mark

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes