Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian Jasinski
Votes |
Rent Increase Etiquette?

Brian Jasinski
Posted Jul 2 2024, 10:11

Hope I am posting this in the right forum.....

I purchased a house with an existing tenant.  They had no lease in place, but have been paying on time.  It has been 6 months or so, and I want to get them on a lease, and adjust the rent for market conditions.

They currently pay $1,500/month, market for this small house is $2,200 or more.  $2,500 for an updated place / fresh paint & finishes.

The house is not updated, and could use paint, etc. so I am reluctant to adjust too high too quickly.  I cannot really get in there to freshen up the place while it is occupied. 

Is there an acceptable max percentage to increase rent?  I feel like telling them we are going to $1,800, and note in the lease that the rent it will increase $100 each year after that?

How much notice do you provide when increasing the rent?  Is two months notice enough?

Any feedback will be appreciated - Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Jul 2 2024, 10:52

@Brian Jasinski, a typical tenant budgets to what they can afford. They live paycheck to paycheck or close to that. So, its difficult to handle sudden changes in their expenses.

That is why for normal yearly increase I try to stay in the 1-3% range with a max of about 5%. Most people will see their wages increase somewhere in this range each year on average. So, this kind of change is manageable for most people.

You are not talking about a normal yearly increase. So, I can understand exceeding the 5% range but $1800 is 20% which for an average tenant could destabilize them or cause them to need to move.

Also, how do you estimate market rent? Most people look at asking prices not rented prices. They also don't factor in how long properties are sitting vacant at that price and also don't factor in how long tenants stay at that price. Vacancy/turnover is EXPENSIVE!

So, keep in mind you might make more money charging $2000 than you do charging $2200.

That said, I would probably discuss the situation with them and let them know what market rents are at and that you don't want to raise it all at once. I would probably go in around $150/year for 3 cycles. So, in 2 years (the beginning of the 3rd lease) you would be up to $1950 and sneaking up on market rent which will likely be a little higher by then.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Spearin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jul 2 2024, 13:46

@Brian Jasinski I would pull comps and show them what market rents are as a talking point. Given that it's almost a 50% increase from the existing rent price, you might want to set a timeline of 2 or 3 months before it taking effect so they can find alternative housing if they plan on vacating instead of staying at that price point.

Another option could be to ask for the rent increase, but offer something in return. For example, I upper the rent on a tenant and offered storage space so they saw added value for the increase.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Warren Lizo
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jul 3 2024, 05:49

@Brian Jasinski

Sit down with them and have a conversation. Explain it is more expensive than you thought to own the house (real estate tax reassessment, etc) and you want to escrow for making future improvements. Immediately, have them sign a month-to-month lease to formalize your relationship and set basic terms. Otherwise, you have nothing to rely on in the worst case of going to court. I agree with @Kyle Spearin - show them other rental comps (zillow) and offer them a step up in rent schedule, increasing every month. You want them to stay because they are good tenants. You can also show them a $ amount that reflects the financial hit to you for the goodwill rent concession to demonstrate your benevolence. Also, you would understand if they cannot afford the step up and you ask them to give you 60 day's notice to vacate. However, you will not delay increasing the rent. Be fair and firm.

Before you sign a long-term lease, _absolutely_ run a credit check on them. Aside from possibly replacing items that upgrade your property value for 3+ years (appliances, countertops, etc) I would not offer any kind of upgrade. This is not a negotiation. It is your property.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Jasinski
Votes |
Replied Jul 15 2024, 11:16

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.....

I will show them the comps, and start with a $150 bump, which is still very under market.

Will go to a lease, and note the projected annual increase of $75-100 at next lease renewal period, to get them in line over time.  They have been good tenants, and this should reduce any shock of a large single increase.....