Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Paul A.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Syracuse NY
Votes |
Store Tenants Belongings?

Paul A.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Syracuse NY
Posted Jul 1 2024, 07:50

Hello,

I non renewed with a tenant who has moved out. They didn't pay and left the place a mess, with plenty of belongings like beds, clothes, bikes, etc. 

I believe NYS law is 15 days to keep the things, but I have also read 30 days is standard. 

i want to get the property cleaned up and start working on it... What is the best thing to do with all the stuff? Put it in a storage? The garage? Or should it remain in the residence and we are at a standstill until the set amount of days? 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 1 2024, 08:56

I move everything to a garage, if I one is available and it is able to be secured. Then I get a written estimate for a local storage locker with a similar amount of square feet of storage because in my state the tenant must pay the reasonable costs of storage before taking possession of the personal property.

It might take longer than 15 days because the notice may be the time they have to respond, but they may have an additional amount of time to pay.  In my state, the notice must give the tenant at least 14 days to make a claim for the property. If they make a claim within that time, they have 5 additional days to pay me the storage costs. Once they do, I must return the property within 3 days.  The notice must also state whether the landlord believes the property to be worth more or less than $2,000.00. If it worth more than $2,000 there is more involved, including selling the property and turning the proceeds over to the state as unclaimed property. I have never had abandoned property over $2,000. 

I send the notice to the tenant at his new address, or last known address if the new address is unknown. I send it with USPS proof of delivery but no required signature verification. I include a generalized listing of items such as " Property including, but not limited to: clothing, toys, cookware, and other items."