Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Blondell Chism
Pro Member
Votes |
high cap rate investment

Blondell Chism
Pro Member
Posted Jul 21 2024, 09:57

We are looking for purchasing a multifamily property in the greater Sacramento area and sometimes the listing states "could be" a high cap rate investment. We are wondering what might make the listing agent state this and yet on the tour there was not a red flag. What makes a duplex a high cap rate investment. By the way, one unit is already rented for the year. 

User Stats

Votes
Immanuel Sibero
Pro Member
  • Carrollton, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carrollton, TX
Replied Jul 21 2024, 19:32

@Blondell Chism

It's a marketing gimmick. Many investors wrongly look for "high" cap rates so saying high cap rate would attract attention. Cap rate is irrelevant in single family houses, duplexes, triplexes and fourplexes. Even in commercial multifamily properties (5 unit and more), cap rate is used as a valuation metric so investors in this space should not be chasing cap rate either. You should do your own underwriting using industry standard/best practice metrics such as COC, IRR, Equity Multiples, Payback in years, etc.

Cheers... Immanuel

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jul 21 2024, 22:19

They likely just mean that there is upside on the rents.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jul 25 2024, 14:23
Quote from @Blondell Chism:

We are looking for purchasing a multifamily property in the greater Sacramento area and sometimes the listing states "could be" a high cap rate investment. We are wondering what might make the listing agent state this and yet on the tour there was not a red flag. What makes a duplex a high cap rate investment. By the way, one unit is already rented for the year. 

Hey Blondell! Small multi family is typically valued by comparable properties, like your typical single family residential property. The key to small multifamily is looking at current rents vs. potential market rent, rent appreciation, location, current value vs. ARV, vacancy rates, etc. Cap rates can often be an over simplification and are typically used for larger apartment buildings / complexes. I'm an investor and agent and have bought and sold many small multi family properties. I'd be happy to jump on a call and discuss this further if you'd like.

Scoville Realty & Investments LLC Logo