Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike W.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
DSCR Lenders Vesting in a Living Trust

Mike W.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jun 11 2024, 18:57

I'm looking for DSCR lenders that will allow us to hold the title of a 2-4 unit property in the name of our living trust. I've talked to several lenders and they either want the title to be held in my individual name or an LLC (not related to the living trust).

In the event we get hit by a bus, I want to avoid probate and ensure that the property is managed and distributed according to the terms of our trust. I've had colleagues who's family named real estate in their trust, but because the deed didn't have the trust's name on it, there was time and costs associated with having a judge review the trust and verify that the intent was to have the property in the trust. I don't want my kids to have to deal with that time XX properties. 

If you have any recommendations for DSCR lenders licensed in MO who will let us vest with a living trust, please pass them along.

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 12 2024, 06:56
Quote from @Mike W.:

I'm looking for DSCR lenders that will allow us to hold the title of a 2-4 unit property in the name of our living trust. I've talked to several lenders and they either want the title to be held in my individual name or an LLC (not related to the living trust).

In the event we get hit by a bus, I want to avoid probate and ensure that the property is managed and distributed according to the terms of our trust. I've had colleagues who's family named real estate in their trust, but because the deed didn't have the trust's name on it, there was time and costs associated with having a judge review the trust and verify that the intent was to have the property in the trust. I don't want my kids to have to deal with that time XX properties. 

If you have any recommendations for DSCR lenders licensed in MO who will let us vest with a living trust, please pass them along.

Hi Mike, one would have to vest the LLC into the trust and you are secured that way. Happy to help hash this out more!

User Stats

Votes
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Votes |
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Replied Jun 12 2024, 10:16

Short answer: no.

I’ve made a career from lending to estates and trusts in California (only) and you may need to go the private money route to obtain a fiduciary mortgage.

If you have financing available for property held by LLC, your estate planning attorney may advise you to hold member share(s) in trust.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.