I need help

I need help

Inland Empire CA · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 18 votes

My first Rental property. But now I want to sell it, So I can move and free up my VA Loan. Property is a Duplex with newly constructed ADU. Los Angeles Ca. If I do sell. I want a good, knowledgeable Realtor in that area. Referral? Recommendations? Opinion?

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Melanie P.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
2y
Quote from @Jonathan Cisneros:
Quote from @Melanie P.:

How long have you owned it?


 One year and 4 months


 What is your reluctance to renting out the two units and getting a new loan when you move? You've met the residency requirement. 

You would need to check your VA Certificate of Eligibility for the area you are moving. The entitlement code is two digits which will correspond to a maximum loan amount for the area. Subtract this amount from the amount you currently owe and this is the amount of financing you still qualify for through VA. Of course you can also refinance the California home into a conventional investment property loan. Prior to making a decision it is probbaly wroth paying $500 for an appraisal to fully understand what the property is worth with the new ADU.

Los Angeles real estate has made homeowners and investors rich beyond their wildest dreams. I gave up my slice of it 25 years ago. Don't make the same mistake I did if you can avoid doing so.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NV and CA · Member since 2016 · 374 posts · 227 votes
    2y

    @Jonathan Cisneros- What part of LA?  I may know some people.

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y

    How long have you owned it?

  • Inland Empire CA · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ryan Fox:

    @Jonathan Cisneros- What part of LA?  I may know some people.

    90044 zip code. 84th and Kansas Ave
    main street nearest is Manchester 
  • Inland Empire CA · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

    How long have you owned it?


     One year and 4 months

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Cisneros:
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

    How long have you owned it?


     One year and 4 months


     What is your reluctance to renting out the two units and getting a new loan when you move? You've met the residency requirement. 

    You would need to check your VA Certificate of Eligibility for the area you are moving. The entitlement code is two digits which will correspond to a maximum loan amount for the area. Subtract this amount from the amount you currently owe and this is the amount of financing you still qualify for through VA. Of course you can also refinance the California home into a conventional investment property loan. Prior to making a decision it is probbaly wroth paying $500 for an appraisal to fully understand what the property is worth with the new ADU.

    Los Angeles real estate has made homeowners and investors rich beyond their wildest dreams. I gave up my slice of it 25 years ago. Don't make the same mistake I did if you can avoid doing so.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    What is your end goal? Does selling this property help you achieve that? 

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Melanie P.:
    Quote from @Jonathan Cisneros:
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

    How long have you owned it?


     One year and 4 months


     What is your reluctance to renting out the two units and getting a new loan when you move? You've met the residency requirement. 

    You would need to check your VA Certificate of Eligibility for the area you are moving. The entitlement code is two digits which will correspond to a maximum loan amount for the area. Subtract this amount from the amount you currently owe and this is the amount of financing you still qualify for through VA. Of course you can also refinance the California home into a conventional investment property loan. Prior to making a decision it is probbaly wroth paying $500 for an appraisal to fully understand what the property is worth with the new ADU.

    Los Angeles real estate has made homeowners and investors rich beyond their wildest dreams. I gave up my slice of it 25 years ago. Don't make the same mistake I did if you can avoid doing so.

    @Jonathan Cisneros I would agree with @Melanie P. We own property in SoCal and we did cash out refi's on each of them and scaled our rental portfolio. We actually section 8 most of our properties and it's been fantastic. I am not going to sugarcoat it, but it is a lot of work on the front end to get section 8 to approve your property with the inspection and vetting of your tenants, but in my experience. If you take your time and do it right it can be a great option.

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y

     Undoubtedly Section 8 tenants are ideal for the remote owner. No need for a property manager, often Section 8s max rates are above market so you can get the units to above-market rent on that basis. The inspection is actually a blessing if you're far from the property - saves you having to do one. Some of the inspectors can be nitpicky so where they are that way we set up a couple easy fails so they don't have to look hard to find something to fail us on that could involve more work. 

  • Investor · NV and CA · Member since 2016 · 374 posts · 227 votes
    2y

    @Jonathan Cisneros- Sent you a DM.

  • Inland Empire CA · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

     Undoubtedly Section 8 tenants are ideal for the remote owner. No need for a property manager, often Section 8s max rates are above market so you can get the units to above-market rent on that basis. The inspection is actually a blessing if you're far from the property - saves you having to do one. Some of the inspectors can be nitpicky so where they are that way we set up a couple easy fails so they don't have to look hard to find something to fail us on that could involve more work. 


    I actually have a Veteran HudVash/Section 8 tenant. Being a Veteran myself, I gave him a chance. In the end, he's that tenant that has not paid me rent in 5 months. However, I know this doesn't mean all section 8 tenants should be judged because of one bad apple. Depending on how this week interview goes with this appointment I have this Friday, will determine if I keep this rental and cash flow. Or sell this rental so I can free up my VA Loan and move.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

     Undoubtedly Section 8 tenants are ideal for the remote owner. No need for a property manager, often Section 8s max rates are above market so you can get the units to above-market rent on that basis. The inspection is actually a blessing if you're far from the property - saves you having to do one. Some of the inspectors can be nitpicky so where they are that way we set up a couple easy fails so they don't have to look hard to find something to fail us on that could involve more work. 


     I agree! 

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Cisneros:
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

     Undoubtedly Section 8 tenants are ideal for the remote owner. No need for a property manager, often Section 8s max rates are above market so you can get the units to above-market rent on that basis. The inspection is actually a blessing if you're far from the property - saves you having to do one. Some of the inspectors can be nitpicky so where they are that way we set up a couple easy fails so they don't have to look hard to find something to fail us on that could involve more work. 


    I actually have a Veteran HudVash/Section 8 tenant. Being a Veteran myself, I gave him a chance. In the end, he's that tenant that has not paid me rent in 5 months. However, I know this doesn't mean all section 8 tenants should be judged because of one bad apple. Depending on how this week interview goes with this appointment I have this Friday, will determine if I keep this rental and cash flow. Or sell this rental so I can free up my VA Loan and move.


     Unfortunately, that is a common complaint about section 8 tenants. Have you reported that to their case carrier? 

  • Lender · Member since 2024 · 121 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Cisneros:

    My first Rental property. But now I want to sell it, So I can move and free up my VA Loan. Property is a Duplex with newly constructed ADU. Los Angeles Ca. If I do sell. I want a good, knowledgeable Realtor in that area. Referral? Recommendations? Opinion?

    I lived in Los Angeles for 10 years and did brokerage there. I know some good realtors that can help! 
  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Kenneth I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I’m a real estate agent in Los Angeles and I can offer solutions to help put this behind you. If you’re still considering selling this property let’s connect.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.