BP Group in the DC/VA/MD Area....Who's In!

BP Group in the DC/VA/MD Area....Who's In!

Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
We are trying to get a group together sometime OCT/NOV in the DC/MD area. Check out the BLOG at "Meet Up? Topics, Timing, and Location" on BP for more details. Regards, John Rubino
1
Topic locked
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 2 votes
12y

Roger and all,

This is such a fantastic idea. I have been a member of DIG, an investors group out of Philadelphia, for several years (I still own rentals there). It is the most amazing group of people you'd ever care to meet. They have several thousand members, and the experienced guys really take the time to mentor the new guys, and do so as a way to give back to the community they live and work in. The biggest benefit is all the networking you can do.

I searched out a similar RE investment group in DC, and attended one event. I wont mention the name, but I found it to be the most self-promoting event I've ever attended. Of the 2 hours I spent there, 57 minutes was dedicated to why you should join, another hour was dedicated to a guest selling his Book/CD/Event "success in real estate" bundle. In between we were given 3 minutes to network with each other, which was cut down from a planned 15 because the organizer 'went over time' with promoting his club. I got more out of the time before the event speaking with people I met in the hallway. The sad thing was, that the MEMBERS had to sit through this pitch as well. I saw no reason to pay dues to attend such meetings.

As I left, I couldn't help but wonder how an organization modeled after DIG would work in DC. I think the amount of feedback on this board in such a short time shows that there is a definite demand for this type of networking. I'll will absolutely plan to attend the next event. If you need any help organizing your events, please feel free to reach out to me. I'm happy to devote any time needed. The payoff in networking would be of such a huge help.

2
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Hey @John Rubino - Make sure to post the details here as well . . . some people may not look on the blogs -- or at least be sure to link to the other post.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    Will do Josh....Can you school me on how to link names (e.g., @names and Blog Hyperlinks)? Thanks.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    Here are the details from the Blog via Mike O'Neill.

    Keep the feedback coming so we can build a group list and some products for hopefully our first get together here soon.

    John

    Hi Folks,

    Following Josh Dorkin's discussion thread from earlier this week, I started chatting with John Rubino about getting a group going in the Washington DC metro area, including Northern Virginia and Maryland. We thought it would be worthwhile to gauge interest of BP members for joining in and to propose some topics, the timing of the meetup, and a possible location. If you're interested, please feel free to PM me, John, or just leave a comment below.

    As for initial topics, we discussed:

    Starting out best practices;
    Networking for deals;
    Hot spots for rentals, wholesales, and flips;
    How to find deals out of town - and where to look;
    Financing strategies;
    Financial modeling - tools and tips;
    Managing property managers;
    Planning exit strategies;
    Systematizing business operations; and
    Q & A.
    What other topics come to mind? Please add to the list in the comments section -- any and all topics are fair game, though the group may address them based on majority interest in one topic over another.

    Regarding timing, we thought it would make sense to start in either September or October. My initial vote would be for a regular monthly, or even twice-monthly meeting time on the weekend (preferably Saturday mornings so I can get home in time for college football). We discussed starting the meetings in September or October, and further timing issues can be ironed out as more people show their interest.

    Lastly, we talked about getting together down at National Harbor. It's a huge space and right off the I-495 Beltway, so hopefully it would be accessible to most folks in the DC-metro area. But we can adjust the locale as well.

    So to wrap up, if you're interested in joining, please leave a comment or send a PM to John or me -- and please include any thoughts you might have about topics, timing, or the location of the meetup. The virtual world is great for initial connections, but I'm looking forward to making some real-world BP contacts as well!

    Best,

    Mike

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 107 votes
    13y
    Hi folks. I'm from the Hagerstown area and would be interested in meeting up!
    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    Okay Mike....Consider yourself part of the group. We'll keep you posted.

    0
    Topic locked
  • College Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    @John Rubino @Mike O'Neill

    Im in the DC/MD area and Im definitely interested. Keep me posted on dates and times.

    Uchenna

    0
    Topic locked
  • Landlord · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Hey @John Rubino,

    If you're on a desktop/laptop, one way to add names is to type @?

    Also, above where you enter text, there's a button for adding hyperlinks.

    @Joshua Dorkin, I installed iOS 7 yesterday and those features don't seem to be available on the iPhone app (I suppose it could just be me).

    Anyway, here's a link to the blog: Meet Up? Topics, Timing, and Location

    Thanks for posting.

    nmn

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    Thanks Nick (@Nicholas N).

    Hope it works.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    Doesn't look like it workeed....I usually do a Quick Reply and don't see a Hyperlinek in the text box. Oh well I'll keep trying.

    John

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    @John Rubino - What browser and browser version are you using?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Wholesaler · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    @John Rubino Sounds like a good idea. Would love to participate in a meetup.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Clinton, MD · Member since 2012 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I'm interested. If this has already happened, let me know when the next one is. Thanks!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2008 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I am in the Northern Virginia area. I will be very interested to meet fellow BPers to network and share.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    @John Rubino Thanks for taking the lead on this. I would love to attend.

    thanks!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Still working the get together, location, and venue. Anyone have any good ideas for location? I was thinking somewhere near the harbor or in DC. Any good locations that could seat about 15-20 in a private room? Nothing too formal.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · USA · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 97 votes
    12y

    Count me in! I am new to estate investing but eager to learn.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Looks like DC public libraries will let you use their meeting rooms for free. It's not glamorous but would probably do the job. You need a DC library card to reserve them (see link below). I don't live in the city so I couldn't do it. If we meet in northern virginia I would be happy to reserve a room at a library out here.

    http://www.dclibrary.org/services/meetingrooms

    0
    Topic locked
  • Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 163 posts · 63 votes
    12y

    I would love to meet up too. I have an office in Fairfax City with various conference rooms that can hold numbers anywhere from a few folks to 50. I would be happy to host the gathering.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Paul CoxPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 156 votes
    12y

    @John Rubino

    Hi John,

    I'm all the way in Upstate NY, but I have a high probability of moving down to the DC area within the year and so, I would love to get involved if even from afar at the present time. My wife and I are down in Maryland about every month, so maybe we can time our trips to coincide with the meetings...Looking forward to meeting fellow BPers in the area

    Paul

    0
    Topic locked
  • Southern, MD · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    John,

    New member here based in Southern Maryland. I'm definitely interested in some type of regular meet up. I also agree 100% with the needing to be back home to watch college football, its the only thing I actually watch on television.

    Your list of topics looks pretty good to me for some initial discussion and I'd bet that after a few meetings it would probably come out what folks are interested in or would like to get more information about.

    I'll be keeping tabs on this post.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Port st Lucie, FL · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I would be interested in attending.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    0
    Topic locked
  • Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 163 posts · 63 votes
    12y

    Are there some dates that people are available? I think we need to put some dates down to start making this more concrete.

    My schedule is usually flexible on Wednesdays and Fridays.

    My offer to host in Fairfax City is still open if folks are interested.

    Roger

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Roger,

    I'll be in touch but right now I count about 20-25 people from the BLOG, my colleagues, and from another BLOG Mike O'Neill put out on the topic.

    Can you support that many at your location? I say we shoot for a Wednesday or Friday evening say 6PM - 8PM this way folks can eat before they come. I'm thinking either the week of 10 or 17 Nov. How does this sound? Do you have a projector with a laptop that would support windows programs? I can bring my Laptop if not but we'd need a projector. Maybe we can work on this when we get together here soon.

    After we nail down the location and date we can look at some potential topics to discuss. Here are a few ideas:

    * Meet and greet

    * Starting out best practices;

    * Networking for deals;

    * How to find deals out of town - and where to look;

    * Financing strategies;

    * Financial modeling - tools and tips;

    * Managing property managers;

    * Planning exit strategies;

    * Systematizing business operations;

    * Marketing Strategies

    We don't have to hit these all at once but they could be a good starting point. We can also reserve sometime afterwards for folks to talk one-on-one.

    Let's think about this and try and talk this week to "get the ball rolling." I'll be heading down to South Carolina on Thursday and will have tons of time to talk so let's try and touch base then or soon.

    Regards,

    John

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    I live in Fairfax and am happy to attend and help out. I'm just beginning but I'm all in for networking in the area. Thanks everyone!

    John

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I'm definitely interested in joining. Pick a date and let's make this happen!

    0
    Topic locked