Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Josh Pryor
  • Investor
  • Evansville, IN
Votes |
Seller Financing Documents

Josh Pryor
  • Investor
  • Evansville, IN
Posted Nov 1 2018, 11:15
Seller financing looks like one of many creative strategies with REI, however, I do not fully understand this. Do I need a lawyer? How do I document this? How do I pitch this to a potential seller? ANY info is helpful. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Phillips
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Garden City, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Garden City, NY
Replied Nov 1 2018, 11:41

@Josh Pryor

The sales contract/agreement will spell out the terms of the deal.

A lawyer will draw up the promissory note for the financing, which will be signed by both parties and recorded at the county clerk's office like any other loan document.

User Stats

Votes
Stanley Bronstein
  • Attorney, CPA, Broker & Author
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Attorney, CPA, Broker & Author
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 1 2018, 12:20

@Josh Pryor  In a normal Seller Financing transaction, there will be a Promissory Note that spells out the terms of the loan . The promissory note usually does not get recorded.

There will also either be a mortgage, or a deed of trust (depending which type your particular state uses). The mortgage / deed of trust actually secures the loan by making reference to the collateral (the property which the loan is for).

There could be other documents as well, such as the Deed that gives you title to the property.

All of these documents will vary from state to state.

Yes, you should definitely use an attorney on this, especially if it's your first one.

It's well worth paying a few bucks to get it done right and to learn from the experience.

It's must less expensive to do it right the first time than it is to clean things up later.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Carl Fischer
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ambler, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ambler, PA
Replied Nov 1 2018, 12:48

@Josh Pryor

Yes get an attorney. There are many reasons sellers like “owner financing” better rate of return than a cd, easier to sell the property, more buyer availability, push out taxes, etc. you can use Lease option paperwork, installment sale documents, note and mortgage/deed of trust to solidify the deal as discussed by @Stanley Bronstein  sophisticated sellers also will help with proper documentation. 

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Davis
  • Investor
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Syracuse, NY
Replied Dec 31 2020, 19:04

What kind of costs are associated with that kind of paperwork when done correctly?