Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
John Carr
Pro Member
Votes |
First Time House hack, Do I need more help then my HR Block tax person

John Carr
Pro Member
Posted Jul 20 2024, 12:28

Hey Team,

Quick run down. I live in my PR located in IL, but bought a home in FL with my daughter which she is house hacking. We are renting out 3 rooms atm. Since I make well more then my daughter, the plan was for me to claim the house for any tax breaks.

Question is, will we need a more specialized tax professional then the HR Block person I've been using for 20 years. They, the HR Block person, is also an investor and owns multiple properties, so I just assume they are well versed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 20 2024, 13:56

@John Carr

I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation and tax planning. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Thompson
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Replied Jul 20 2024, 14:05

It's great to work with a real estate-specific tax professional but it's difficult because you don't always know what you don't know. For example are they making a major mistake? If this is the same person you've worked with for years and have a good working relationship I would first give them the benefit of the doubt and reach out to two other accountants to see if they will do a complimentary review of you previous tax returns. If all appears to be in order then there might not be any harm staying with HR Block. The downside is that a specific individual might not be there next year and you'll have to build a new relationship with someone that might not be as knowledgeable.

Best of luck!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Markus Shobe
  • Accountant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 20 2024, 15:01

If the HR person has RE properties I would assume that they are good at real estate tax planning and etc and since you have been with them for 20 years you are familiar with them and they are familiar with you. I would want a RE tax pro that I can reach out to throughout the year and not just during tax time. 

User Stats

Votes
James Mc Ree
  • Rental Property Investor
  • West Chester, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • West Chester, PA
Replied Jul 20 2024, 15:57

I agree with @Markus Shobe. You should have a conversation with your HR Block person as a resource to learn what you should be thinking about. Owning a rental home with or without house hacking is a pretty basic thing that almost any certified tax professional or accountant should be able to handle.

Think a little in a bigger picture about what type of advice you will want: tax, accounting, financial planning? The general accountant can help you with more than just tax reporting. The tax person is taxes only. You might get more value from a financial planner or accountant if you want a little more help, such as retirement planning. Just a thought...