Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Namit Raisurana
  • Investor
  • San Carlos, CA
Votes |
Investment property set up

Namit Raisurana
  • Investor
  • San Carlos, CA
Posted Jun 19 2024, 00:02

I have few properties in CA and I would like to set up a structure which provides me anonymity and reduced liability.

I have set up a WY LLC and various real estate land trust where each trust will hold title to the individual real esate and the LLC will be beneficiary for all these trusts. Since the properties are based in CA I will have to register the WY LLC in CA which will expose my ownership and thus I will have a member manager trust that will be the owner of the LLC.

My question is who should I make the trustee of the land trusts? If I make myself the trustee than I am losing the benefit of anonymity or am i? Or should I make my attorney the trustee and then have a resignation deed making me the successor?

Looking for suggestions from people who have done this kind of stuff before

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 19 2024, 05:44
Quote from @Namit Raisurana:

Most people use a registered agent. The registered agent is the one listed on all filings, thereby protecting your anonymity.

Question: why do you need to be anonymous? You should be just fine with the properties in your personal name and an umbrella insurance policy. Cheaper and easier. The odds of you ever being sued for more than your basic insurance will cover is about the same as being struck by lightning.

User Stats

Votes
Katie Balatbat
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Votes |
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Replied Jun 19 2024, 08:27

@Namit Raisurana

Depends on your preferences and situation of course, but seems as though you've set up a fairly complex structure with somewhat pricey ongoing maintenance costs.  It's very hard to remain anonymous in CA, and while a great goal, often comes at the cost of a very cumbersome structure to maintain, explain, and pay for in the meantime.  The Trustee of the trust is typically listed on title to real property, so while that may provide you some anonymity, you have to ask if you really want to track down that person to sign documents related to your real property?  It's putting a lot of faith and trust in a person that you may not know very well, and who you're not in regular contact with as to their life situation.

*This post does not create an attorney-client or CPA-client relationship.  The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Namit Raisurana
  • Investor
  • San Carlos, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Carlos, CA
Replied Jun 19 2024, 11:09

Yes, i understand this is quite complicated. But even if I dont care about anonymity, I still need the real estates to be in their own LLC to limit liability outside the property. So instead of opening individual LLC for each property, this approach of having an LLC and land trust for each property also helps with paying the CA franchisee board fees only for one llc. Hope that makes sense

User Stats

Votes
Namit Raisurana
  • Investor
  • San Carlos, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Carlos, CA
Replied Jun 19 2024, 11:33

my key question was around trustee for these land trusts. i can work with the specific legal company to have their trustee initially, and then have a resignation deed which designates me the successor. should i do all this or just have myself as the trustee from the start itself? but then if i am the trustee, my name will show up

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
  • CPA | California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • CPA | California
Replied Jun 19 2024, 11:57
Quote from @Namit Raisurana:

Yes, i understand this is quite complicated. But even if I dont care about anonymity, I still need the real estates to be in their own LLC to limit liability outside the property. So instead of opening individual LLC for each property, this approach of having an LLC and land trust for each property also helps with paying the CA franchisee board fees only for one llc. Hope that makes sense

Yes, if you have an LLC and land trust (instead of LLC) for each property it does help with paying the CA franchisee board fees.

*This post does not create a CPA-client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers are advised to seek professional advice