Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jinesh Patel
Votes |
Tax advise for high earner w2 couple.

Jinesh Patel
Posted

Hello,

Me and my wife both work fulltime on w2. we are planning to start investing in the real-estate this year. I am not sure how I can take advantage  of the rental losses here. As I went to one of the tax classes and they told that we have to be working more hours in the rental property than our w2 job.

I am not sure what will be the best course of action will be here.

Any help appreciated.

Jinesh

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Hey Jinesh, 

I would highly recommend taking it slow. The goal here is to get our active income recategorized as passive, and to do so we need to own a bit of property for it to make sense for you and your wife. I would suggest first looking into buying a 5 unit multifamily building, and then another the year after. Once you are comfortable with running real estate, you can consider having one of you leave work and manage the properties full time. Once this happens, things accelerate quickly. You can pay less tax on your w2 via having the spouse that goes full time real estate qualify as real estate professional, and then continue to grow by buying more and more properties. I hope that makes sense! Im here to help with any questions 

User Stats

Votes
Lane Kawaoka
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Replied

From the real estate you are going to be getting Passive Activity Losses (PALs) which is depreciation to offset passive income, potentially reducing your overall tax liability. This strategy, if combo with REPS (real estate profession status) basically checkbox on your taxes is key to canceling out full-time W2 employment.

If this is new to you... PALs fundamentally work by allowing investors to deduct depreciation from their properties, which can significantly reduce the taxable income generated by these investments. Depreciation is a tax deduction that reflects the costs of wear and tear, deterioration, or obsolescence of the property. For example, my first property in Seattle was a $350,000 property, separating the land value ($150,000) from the improvement value ($200,000) enables an annual depreciation deduction around $6,000 over 27.5 years. This deduction can offset the income generated by the property, potentially reducing it to a tax-neutral position.

For those with full-time jobs, the challenge lies in the IRS designation of "real estate professional," which has specific hour requirements that must be met to take full advantage of these deductions against ordinary income. If you can't qualify as a real estate professional, your ability to use PALs to offset non-passive income (like your W2 earnings) might be limited. However, the real estate investments still offer the potential for tax-deferred growth and, under certain conditions, the ability to carry forward unused passive losses to offset future passive income.

The concept of depreciation and bonus depreciation is particularly advantageous in the early years of an investment, allowing for significant upfront deductions. Bonus depreciation can accelerate deductions, increasing the amount of passive losses available to offset passive income from real estate or other sources. It's important to consult with a tax professional who can advise on how these strategies align with your overall financial situation, especially considering your full-time employment and income structure.

Moreover, as your portfolio grows, and particularly if one spouse can transition away from W2 employment, the landscape of your income and tax liabilities shifts. The progression towards more passive income sources, balanced against the backdrop of your evolving investment strategy, can lead to a more favorable tax position. This journey, is the transition from primarily active (ordinary) income to a portfolio characterized by passive income streams, benefitting from tax-efficient strategies like PALs.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied
Quote from @Jinesh Patel:

Any help appreciated.

Short answer: no immediate tax savings from regular rentals as long as both of you have regular W2 jobs.

You invest to create passive cash flow and grow your wealth through appreciation of your properties, but not for immediate tax savings.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied

I think people look at real estate the wrong way and want the loss to offset their W-2 income.

The first and most benefit goal with real estate is that your cash flow and appreciation is not taxed.
if you are making 8% from cash-flow and appreciation and it is not taxed, imagine how quickly your wealth can grow.

If you can offset the rental loss with your income income, that is just icing on the cake.