Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Solo 401(k) Question

Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Jan 13 2014, 11:57

If you use your Solo 401(k) to purchase real estate, I understand that there are certain prohibitions on it, such as all income must go back into the property.

As far as hiring people to work on the property, from what I read there are disqualified persons and non-disqualified persons.

A "friend" is listed as a non-disqualified person. A "spouse" is a disqualified person. What about a significant other?

User Stats

Votes
Steven Hamilton II
Pro Member
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent
  • Grayslake, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grayslake, IL
Replied Jan 13 2014, 12:02
Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
If you use your Solo 401(k) to purchase real estate, I understand that there are certain prohibitions on it, such as all income must go back into the property.

As far as hiring people to work on the property, from what I read there are disqualified persons and non-disqualified persons.

A "friend" is listed as a non-disqualified person. A "spouse" is a disqualified person. What about a significant other?

Dawn,

A significant other as long as not married to or part of your direct lineage is just fine. Cannot be related.

All of the income much go back into the 401k.

Just don't hire family.(to make it simple)

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jan 13 2014, 12:04
Originally posted by @Steven Hamilton II:

A significant other as long as not married to or part of your direct lineage is just fine. Cannot be related.

I would think that if people have significant others, they are not part of one's direct lineage!

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Steven Hamilton II
Pro Member
  • Grayslake, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grayslake, IL
Replied Jan 13 2014, 12:07
Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
Originally posted by @Steven Hamilton II: A significant other as long as not married to or part of your direct lineage is just fine. Cannot be related.

I would think that if people have significant others, they are not part of one's direct lineage!

Dawn,

I've seen some really messed up things before.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Jan 13 2014, 12:08

Let's define Disqualified Persons – this means you, as the account owner, your spouse, your parents, grandparents or other ancestors, as well as your children, grandchildren, or other descendants, as well as the spouses of any of these persons. So, for example, your step-child would not be a Disqualified Person, as long as you haven't adopted the child. In addition, your siblings aren't Disqualified Persons either, nor would “significant other”. So technically, one of these people could transact business with your Solo 401k - as long as there is no other reason to prohibit the transaction.

The problem is, if you (or another Disqualified Person) benefit directly or indirectly from a transaction with the Solo 401k, the transaction is prohibited – no matter who the person is that you’ve transacted with.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Dietz
Pro Member
  • Reedsburg, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Reedsburg, WI
Replied Jan 13 2014, 12:54

I think part of what Dmitriy is pointing out in his last paragraph is this, to put it onto an actual Iscariot; Say you hired your SO (which is fine) and he fixes up your building (which is fine). What if THEN, after the fact, he ends up buying it (still fine) but then YOU want to move into the building your SDIRA held? Not fine! A 'grayer' area might be if you lived together and you hired him and payed him from your SDIRA, and part of his pay came back into your joint household to pay the bills. Probably not fine. Just trying to put it in an easy to understand form.

Dan Dietz

User Stats

Votes
Steven Hamilton II
Pro Member
  • Grayslake, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grayslake, IL
Replied Jan 13 2014, 19:37
Originally posted by @Daniel Dietz:
I think part of what Dmitriy is pointing out in his last paragraph is this, to put it onto an actual Iscariot; Say you hired your SO (which is fine) and he fixes up your building (which is fine). What if THEN, after the fact, he ends up buying it (still fine) but then YOU want to move into the building your SDIRA held? Not fine! A 'grayer' area might be if you lived together and you hired him and payed him from your SDIRA, and part of his pay came back into your joint household to pay the bills. Probably not fine. Just trying to put it in an easy to understand form.

Dan Dietz

Dan,

The last part you mentioned would trigger the prohibited transaction.

User Stats

Votes
Phil G.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Massachusetts
Replied Jan 14 2014, 06:19

One note of caution on significant others. While unmarried partners aren't disqualified persons because of their relationship with you, if they are a beneficiary of your plan (which is my situation), they become off-limits.