Dealing with a Faked Property Manger

Dealing with a Faked Property Manger

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes

A person, with absolutely no professional certification, claimed to be a property manger, offered to mange my house, claiming that he has all the professional certification and promised to fill out W9 form for me when he is to be paid.

Fake property manager hired a cheap hand (again, no professional certification, no social security number), who did some work but cost damage to the property.

The fake property manger quit in the middle of the first month, in an effort to get away with it.

Stunningly, the fake property manager asked me to pay him, or he will sue me in small claims court in California.

My question: If I countersuit the fake property manager, may I ask for the reimbursement of the trip? ( I have moved to another city)

If I simply report to the authority against the fake property manager, what kind of consequence will that cost the fake property manager? What authority should I report to?

If I simply report to the authority the cheap hand without even a social security number, what authority should I report to? (In California, illegal immigrants are legal!!!)

If I just simply want to make the fake property manager go away and am willing to pay him, may I request a W9 form? If he refuses to fill out the W9 form, is he giving me a legitimate reason not to pay him?

0Reply
18 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Tell the whole story so someone can help you.

    Joe Gore

  • Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 837 votes
    12y

    You should only take legal advice from an attorney.

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I would offer the property manager a fee for services rendered less the repairs to fix the damage. He would need to agree no other fees are required and a W-9 be signed if the money is over $1000.

    If he refuses, then he can initiate a suit and you have something real to talk to a lawyer about.

    Personally, I wouldn't sue someone for so little money. It's a royal pain.

    Rick

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    The California Bureau of Real Estate http://www.dre.ca.gov/ governs unlicensed persons who have performed acts which require a real estate license. Sounds like that is the case for your issue. Click on Filing a Complaint and go from there...

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 165 posts · 62 votes
    12y

    If he has no real estate license for performing services that require a real estate license, he has no case in court. He will not sue you. Forget this deal and move on.

  • Contractor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2013 · 767 posts · 389 votes
    12y

    How much does he want? If it's a couple of hundred dollars, I'd just pay him to go away. A lawyer could easily cost that much and then you still might have to pay. You probably will have to go after the worker for damages. Pretty much the same here around Austin. We are basically a sanctuary for illegals as well. They would be easy enough to catch if the gov't wanted too. Go to any job site or certain housing areas.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Yeah I have been damaged in the past. The real question becomes chances of recovery and time invested to get the outcome??

    If I am spending countless hours and motions chasing a deadbeat how much can I make not doing those activities?? ALOT

    If you are not in Cali anymore and caps have compressed have you thought of selling and doing a 1031 to where you now live??

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rick Baggenstoss:
    I would offer the property manager a fee for services rendered less the repairs to fix the damage. He would need to agree no other fees are required and a W-9 be signed if the money is over $1000.
    If he refuses, then he can initiate a suit and you have something real to talk to a lawyer about.
    Personally, I wouldn't sue someone for so little money. It's a royal pain.
    Rick

    Rick,

    The amount is actually $600. I recommend sending them to everyone.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.