Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Terrazas
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Votes |
Obtaining a HELOC for an investment Property?

Brandon Terrazas
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Posted

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to see if it is possible to get a HELOC for an investment property. So far, all the lenders that I have talked to have told me that they don't offer that service. Is anyone aware of a lender that does offer HELOCs for investment properties. If so, would you pass that information on to me?

Thank you all for your time.

Sincerely,

Brandon Terrazas

User Stats

Votes
Jody Sperling
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Omaha, NE
Replied

I have a HELOC on one of my investment properties. It's through Dundee Bank, but they only lend locally to Omaha. There are several other local banks here in town that will supply HELOCs on investment properties, and I think the key is to talk to your local credit unions and local banks in your city.

If you've already exhausted your local banks, circle back and see if you can talk with the commercial lending side of the bank. The first time I asked Dundee if it would consider a HELOC on my rental, they said they didn't have that kind of product available, but I later learned that the mortgage broker side of lending was unaware of what the commercial side did.

I think it's fairly common for banks to be siloed, and I think they do it intentionally as a form of risk mitigation. So asking the right people the right questions becomes really important. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas great advice shared above by @Jody Sperling. I haven’t found any local banks here that will do HELOCs on investment property.

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Marty Johnston
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas Most commonly, HELOCs are a O/O related loan product. My ears perked up to see @Jody Sperlings post here that there are in fact some banks / CUs who offer this. I've never seen a HELOC available for an Investment property so I'd follow her lead here and reach out to all the local banks and CU's in your area like she said.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly Abeln
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dothan, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dothan, AL
Replied

I'm running into the same problem in AZ. Some bank websites say that they offer them, but then when I call they say it's for OO properties only (maybe their policy changed when rates dropped so low or bc of Covid??) Please keep me posted on what you find and I'll do the same.

User Stats

Votes
Zack Karp
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Schaumburg, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Schaumburg, IL
Replied

There are a few banks that were doing them (First Midwest @Michael Barbari is here on BP), then Covid hit and many of them suspended doing them. I think some have returned? Usually though, helocs on investment properties need to be in 1st lien position, and I suspect at a max LTV of around 75%. This is not the same thing as getting a heloc as a 2nd lien behind a primary mortgage at a high LTV like on a primary residence.

Best of luck!

Zachary Karp Mortgage Team, Logo

User Stats

Votes
Marty Johnston
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Replied

@Zack Karp aahhh, this makes much more sense. Thank youf or this! 

"Usually though, helocs on investment properties need to be in 1st lien position, and I suspect at a max LTV of around 75%."

User Stats

Votes
Michael Barbari
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Downers Grove, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Downers Grove, IL
Replied

@Zack Karp Just started investment helocs again. 60% LTV. First lien only.

User Stats

Votes
Zack Karp
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Schaumburg, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Schaumburg, IL
Replied

^^^ Bingo :)

Zachary Karp Mortgage Team, Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Williamson
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas

I just closed on a HELOC last month with suntrust! Call them… I am using the funds for a down payment on my first rental propert and any rehab that needs to be done

User Stats

Votes
Justin Phillips
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas @Kimberly Abeln They're definitely still out there! Just a little more specialized these days. I have one on my rental, and what a great tool. Especially with these inflated values, it's a great time to get one set before a potential shift. 
Probably with the tightening in availability, I've been getting a ton of investor heloc inquires lately. 

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly Abeln
Pro Member
  • Dothan, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dothan, AL
Replied

It didn't matter to any of the banks/CU's I called that the investment property we own is free and clear. It wasn't a first-position issue, but a non-OO property issue. I called and was turned down by: US Bank, PenFed, BofA, PNC, SunTrust, Flagstar, Citi, OneAZ CU, TD Bank, Union Bank, Pyramid CU, TOPCU (I did talk to Ken Krapf in their business department and they will do a Business line of credit for 1-2 years, renewable, for like 4-5%, with an investment property as collateral at 75% LTV), finally I was able to get Jeff at Vantage West CU who will do a HELOC on investment property at 70% LTV around 6.5-7.25%. I hope this saves you a few hours of calling :)

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Noell
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Hi @Brandon Terrazas, I was able to close on a HELOC with Pentagon Federal Credit Union, which I learned about on this site. We closed about a month ago. This is a property we used to live in and still has the homestead exemption on it; the homestead exemption was required by them on the collateral property.

The property is a duplex, and I was surprised this wasn't an issue for them. I'm pretty sure it was 75% max LTV. Variable interest rate was 4.75% at the time but not sure about now. The process took about 5 MONTHS!!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Skuba
  • Title Representative
  • Bristol, RI
Votes |
  • Title Representative
  • Bristol, RI
Replied

I just closed on two investment property HELOCs last week with a local credit union. Prime + 1%, 75% LTV in second lien position. 10 year draw period. It's called Greenwood Credit Union but pretty sure they only lend in RI and MA. Best bet would be to find the local bank or credit union (the kind that has only one or two branches) and see if they offer it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas

Hi! We have a home equity loan on investment property (not HELOC) from TD bank. They were able to do HELOC on the property as well but straight home equity loan worked better for our needs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Kimberly Carver

For us it is a second position loan

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Terrazas
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Replied

Thank you everyone for the great information. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Any one from Canada trying to do HELOC or Home Equity Loan on an investing property?

User Stats

Votes
Neil P.
  • Edison, NJ
Votes |
  • Edison, NJ
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas where you from I needed the same thing found a lender in nj

User Stats

Votes
Jonny Van Dyck
  • Investor
  • Salmon Arm BC, Canada
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Salmon Arm BC, Canada
Replied

I am also looking for one in Canada on a mortgage free rental property that I own.  So far I've asked Tangerine - they said no. I'm waiting to hear back from my mortgage broker who usually works with Scotiabank - sounds like it's a maybe from them at Prime +0.5.  Going to talk to my local credit union soon.  I also plan to ask a contact from Canada Life if they will do it.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Terrazas
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Replied

@Neil P. I live in Arizona.

User Stats

Votes
Neil P.
  • Edison, NJ
Votes |
  • Edison, NJ
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas

@Rob Glasser has found a few banks that do it

User Stats

Votes
Eric Skinner
  • Contractor
  • Tyler, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Tyler, TX
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas I closed on an investment property HELOC with Penfed a couple weeks ago. They offer 80% LTV w/ a 2nd lien position at a rate of 1.5% above prime. They require that you have no more than 4 mortgages when you request your HELOC.

The whole process took 2 months and they covered all closing costs.

I hope this helps.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas J Mele
  • Investor
  • Fairfield County, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfield County, CT
Replied

@Brandon Terrazas

I literally just created the same post! Help us😂

User Stats

Votes
Neil P.
  • Edison, NJ
Votes |
  • Edison, NJ
Replied

@Eric Skinner where do they do New Jersey ?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Skinner
  • Contractor
  • Tyler, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Tyler, TX
Replied
Originally posted by @Neil P.:

@Eric Skinner where do they do New Jersey ?

I’m not sure about NJ, but they definitely lend in multiple states. My property is in CA and they would also have done it to my property in TX. I’d give them a call to find out. Good Luck!