Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Mariah Jeffery
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Votes |
85% LTV Financing for apartment building?

Mariah Jeffery
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Posted Aug 8 2009, 17:23

I'm interested in purchasing an apartment building for about $1.1M. I have enough cash to put 15% down. Are lenders doing 85% LTV commercial mortgages these days? If so, will it be an 75% and a 10%? Will the rate be higher than if I were to go 80% LTV? My credit score is 795 and I only have one small mortgage for debt. I also only have one investment property so far, a duplex. Will lenders be concerned about me jumping from a 2-unit to a 20-unit?

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Silver
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 8 2009, 13:59

I've been in communication w a lender that "claim" they can do 100%. If, and only if, the cap rate is atleast 8%; property requires little to no work/repairs; credit score is above 650; and you have some experience and/or net worth.

You never know how legitimate, reputable these lenders are until you actually bring the project to the table.

User Stats

Votes
Erica Thomas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mobile, AL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mobile, AL
Replied Aug 8 2009, 14:51

Hi Mariah,

Fannie Mae has relaxed their guidelines on multifamily, this should work for you. Also there rates are awesome, fixed 6.25% for 30-35 yrs. They are also allowing closing costs to be financed in the deal. The loans are also non recourse. Some of their DUS Lenders are Wachovia (Wells Fargo), HSBC, Greystone Bank.

Hope this helps.

Erica

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Mariah Jeffery
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Replied Aug 11 2009, 03:11

Bryan - I don't believe any lender would do 100% unless it's hard money, but please let me know how this one goes. I'm having trouble believing some of the ones that claim they can do 85%. I wonder if they plan to lure us in and then after we've paid the fees, they tell is the rate will be much higher. I would love to hear from some investors here on BP who have worked with some of these lenders who are quoting too good to be true numbers.

Erica - I still have a few calls to make, but the Fannie Mae DUS lenders I've talked to so far insist that 80% is the highest LTV Fannie Mae will go.

User Stats

Votes
Richard David
  • Commercial Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Commercial Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 14 2009, 04:44
Originally posted by Mariah J.:
Bryan - I don't believe any lender would do 100% unless it's hard money, but please let me know how this one goes. I'm having trouble believing some of the ones that claim they can do 85%. I wonder if they plan to lure us in and then after we've paid the fees, they tell is the rate will be much higher. I would love to hear from some investors here on BP who have worked with some of these lenders who are quoting too good to be true numbers.

Mariah,

Average LTV's range from 75-80% maximum for Agency loans. [SOLICITATION REMOVED]

User Stats

Votes
Richard David
  • Commercial Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Commercial Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 30 2009, 10:18

Mariah,

Your best bet to secure maximum financing is to purchase the property at it's full appraised value using the equity as additional funds towards your downpayment. Your primary mortgage loan will be in the range of 75% LTV. This is how you can increase your aggregate LTV up to 100%. Hope this helps.

Richard David
Federal Funding
[CONTACT INFO REMOVED]

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Qualls
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Sep 1 2009, 05:58

Mariah,

YES, 85%LTV financing can be done for apartments!!!! With a term of 35 YEARS (NO BALLOONS) Rates are in the low 6's. These are not FNMA DUS LOANS.

Wayne

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Sep 1 2009, 06:02
Originally posted by Wayne Qualls:
Mariah,

YES, 85%LTV financing can be done for apartments!!!! With a term of 35 YEARS. Rates are in the low 6's. These are not FNMA DUS LOANS.

Wayne

Wayne can you do the same terms for an office building? How about a MHP?

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Qualls
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Sep 1 2009, 06:22

Jon,

80% LTV Office Building's, and MHP's.
MHP's can be higher LTV under certain conditions. 30 year terms.

Wayne

P.S. Did you get my recent email?

User Stats

Votes
Richard David
  • Commercial Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Commercial Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied Sep 9 2009, 22:26

Mariah,
Maximum financing is possible if there is sufficient equity in the property. You just have to buy it right and at its full appraised value to capture the equity. There are many ways to get financing, but bank financing you should avoid for their average LTV's are around 70%. We have several loans in the pipeline and all of them are set at 70% LTV with one Agency at 75% LTV.

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Pedigo
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Sep 10 2009, 02:01

Have you found financing for this yet? I haven't seen much over 70% in the commercial realm these days. Is the seller willing to hold a second?