Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Partnering up in a property I manage

Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Posted Jul 8 2024, 08:16

Hello BP community! 

My name is Mohammed (Mo), I'm a broker & investor based out in NYC. My firm also manages properties for our clients and although its a small portion of our business, its a great way for us to stay involved with clients to better understand & anticipate their needs. 

Recently, we've been running into an issue with one of the properties currently under management. It's a multifamily property located in the boroughs that is in B+ condition, and located in a A- area. Close to public transport, very family friendly, etc. 

We took over the property management because the owner was having multiple issues with a few of the "tenants" that have illegally sublet the property, and we are now dealing with the ripple effects (e.g. squatters, dogs, dispute with neighbors etc.)

The landlord is cash strapped, and has asked me to go in on the property/deal with him in order to get a cash infusion to cover legal fees & renovation costs. I WANT to do this, but have little idea about how to structure it as well as being unsure about which attorney to connect with. 

My question: Is there anyone you would recommend (preferably in the boroughs) that can help advise me on how to structure this deal that's fair to all parties and compensates me for the risk I'm taking? 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jul 8 2024, 13:04

Move it to a new LLC to avoid old potential issues.

You will both be members of the new LLC with percentage ownership.

Have an attorney draw up the LLC Operating Agreement and be sure YOU understand it.