Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Victoria E.
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Seeking advice on Seller finance terms

Victoria E.
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted Jun 19 2024, 14:01

Hello, I am seeking advice as I am  new to seller financing.  I want to understand how to structure the finance terms.

if for example the house is on the market  for $200K

1. how much do i ask for down payment

2 going interest rate? should it be interest only

3. what fees should i charge

4. if i am using a loan servicing company how do i factor in the fees?

5. are there closing costs i need to have in mind

6. anything else I should add to the terms

I welcome the community's wisdom and insights.

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 24 2024, 09:13

Hi, Victoria E., it’s common to ask for a down payment of 10-20% of the sale price. 

1. In your case: For a $200K house, a 10% down payment would be $20,000, and a 20% down payment would be $40,000.

2. Check current mortgage rates as a reference. As of now, mortgage rates vary but are generally around 6-7% for a 30-year fixed-rate loan. Rates for seller financing are typically higher than conventional mortgage rates to compensate for the increased risk. A good range might be 7-9%.

3. As for fees, you should consider origination, processing and late payment fees. 

4. Loan servicing companies charge for managing the loan, collecting payments, and handling escrow. Fees can range from $15 to $50 per month, or a small percentage of each payment. You can pass these fees on to the buyer, include them in the monthly payment, or pay them yourself. If the fees are passed to the buyer, ensure this is clearly stated in the terms.

5. The closing costs to consider are the recording, legal, title search, insurance, appraisal, and escrow fees.

6. Some terms you may find helpful:

Repayment Schedule: Clearly outline the payment schedule (monthly, quarterly, etc.).
Balloon Payment: If applicable, specify the amount and due date of any balloon payment.
Prepayment Penalty: State if there’s a penalty for paying off the loan early.
Default Terms: Clearly define what constitutes a default and the consequences, such as foreclosure procedures.
Insurance Requirements: Ensure the buyer maintains property insurance.
Maintenance Responsibilities: Clarify that the buyer is responsible for property maintenance and repairs.

I hope this helps you out, have a great day!

User Stats

Votes
Victoria E.
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jun 24 2024, 09:27

Ty thank you for this.  Superhelpful

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Noah Corwick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jun 24 2024, 09:43
Quote from @Ty Coutts:

Hi, Victoria E., it’s common to ask for a down payment of 10-20% of the sale price. 

1. In your case: For a $200K house, a 10% down payment would be $20,000, and a 20% down payment would be $40,000.

2. Check current mortgage rates as a reference. As of now, mortgage rates vary but are generally around 6-7% for a 30-year fixed-rate loan. Rates for seller financing are typically higher than conventional mortgage rates to compensate for the increased risk. A good range might be 7-9%.

3. As for fees, you should consider origination, processing and late payment fees. 

4. Loan servicing companies charge for managing the loan, collecting payments, and handling escrow. Fees can range from $15 to $50 per month, or a small percentage of each payment. You can pass these fees on to the buyer, include them in the monthly payment, or pay them yourself. If the fees are passed to the buyer, ensure this is clearly stated in the terms.

5. The closing costs to consider are the recording, legal, title search, insurance, appraisal, and escrow fees.

Repayment Schedule: Clearly outline the payment schedule (monthly, quarterly, etc.).
Balloon Payment: If applicable, specify the amount and due date of any balloon payment.
Default Terms: Clearly define what constitutes a default and the consequences, such as foreclosure procedures.
Maintenance Responsibilities: Clarify that the buyer is responsible for property maintenance and repairs.

This is a fantastic breakdown by Ty. 

The only thing that I'd add to this is to have the loan amortization schedule clearly defined as well. Basically if the payment amounts would be calculated like they are being paid over a 30/15/10, etc. year term. 

Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Victoria E.
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jun 24 2024, 14:31
Quote from @Ty Coutts:

Would you run a credit report on the buyer?

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 24 2024, 14:53

Hi Victoria,

Yes, running a credit report on the buyer is highly recommended. This helps you assess the buyer's creditworthiness and ability to make timely payments. There are definitely some key points to consider with this though such as Income Verification, References, Terms and Conditions that I would recommend having. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss or need further assistance!