Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Harris
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
HELOC on Primary - Lender that will include rental income in DTI

Brandon Harris
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albany, OR
Posted Jun 27 2022, 13:34

Hello,

Does anyone have a referral for a HELOC that will fit my situation?

I am looking to get a HELOC on my primary home in Oregon. I was in process with a lender, but they won't include my Schedule E rental income in the DTI calculation until it is shown on 2 tax returns. This is because the HELOC would be in second position. I have 2 SFRs and our primary. By excluding the rental income it looks as if I have 3 mortgages that aren't covered, as opposed to just a mortgage on the primary.

Based on current market rates I am at 80% LTV on the primary. I'm looking for a 90-95% LTV HELOC so I can get a good sized credit line established. I have a strong credit score. I have a good DTI when you include the rental income.

The rental income only shows on 1 tax return. I have signed leases, consistent rent payments, security deposits, etc. that can show the income is legitimate.

I've called a few more lenders, local banks and credit unions, and haven't had any luck. Does anyone know of a lender that will fund a HELOC on these terms? I have only worked will large commercial banks, credit unions, and local banks so maybe there is someone I don't know about.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

User Stats

Votes
Sam Jurgenson
  • Lender
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Portland, OR
Replied Jun 27 2022, 14:12

Hey Brandon, It looks like you have gone down several routes and done due diligence. Have you looked into any NON-QM options or Debt Service Coverage Ratio (DSCR) Options? You may have to do a cash out refinance to accomplish these as opposed to a line of credit. But there can be some advantages depending on your goals and your overall scenario. Happy to discuss further with you.

User Stats

Votes
Upen Patel
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Replied Jun 27 2022, 15:04

@Brandon Harris Lets speak. I can get this done for you. I can use your rental income, don't need any seasoning on tax returns.

Out Home Equity Loan (not HELOC) is a relationship based product. So we either need to have a prior relationship (which we don't have) or they will approve you and then issue the loan in parallel with another purchase loan (i.e. to use for down payment on the purchase of an investment property).

The Federal Savings Bank Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.