Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eli King
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cookeville, TN
Votes |
Strategies for Assuming Someone's Mortgage

Eli King
  • Cookeville, TN
Posted Jun 26 2024, 20:09

I'm seeking strategies for assuming someone else's mortgage as a primary residence. What is the best way to explore if this is an option with the seller's lender? Are there any strategies for making this more desirable for the current lender? 

User Stats

Votes
Elias Halvorson
Lender
  • Hawaii
Votes |
Lender
  • Hawaii
Replied Jun 26 2024, 22:52

Hi Eli, 

A few different ways: 

1) You can ask your realtor to put you on a drip campaign for any assumable loans in the areas you desire. 

2) If you are looking at something off-market you can ask your realtor to work with their title company of choice to pull lists of all government loans, in whatever areas you are looking for. This typically costs money, maybe $.02 -.10 per record. It will be a higher cost if you are looking for names, emails, etc. 

Obviously, unless you are a veteran very few of us are going to let a non-veteran assume their VA loan. I say this to emphasize focusing on FHA and USDA mortgages in your search.

Hope this helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Lydia S.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Jun 27 2024, 06:46

@Eli King

The seller would need to contact the servicer of their loan and confirm it’s assumable.

You would then need to qualify with that servicer plus have the funds to cover the difference between what remains on the loan and the purchase price for the home.

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Eli King
  • Cookeville, TN
Votes |
  • Cookeville, TN
Replied Jun 27 2024, 10:50
Quote from @Lydia S.:

@Eli King

The seller would need to contact the servicer of their loan and confirm it’s assumable.

You would then need to qualify with that servicer plus have the funds to cover the difference between what remains on the loan and the purchase price for the home.

Thank you, Lydia. Do you know if most mortgages are assumable or if this is a rare occurrence? Is there any downside to the seller? 

User Stats

Votes
Eli King
  • Cookeville, TN
Votes |
  • Cookeville, TN
Replied Jun 27 2024, 10:50
Quote from @Elias Halvorson:

Hi Eli, 

A few different ways: 

1) You can ask your realtor to put you on a drip campaign for any assumable loans in the areas you desire. 

2) If you are looking at something off-market you can ask your realtor to work with their title company of choice to pull lists of all government loans, in whatever areas you are looking for. This typically costs money, maybe $.02 -.10 per record. It will be a higher cost if you are looking for names, emails, etc. 

Obviously, unless you are a veteran very few of us are going to let a non-veteran assume their VA loan. I say this to emphasize focusing on FHA and USDA mortgages in your search.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks, Elias. For this instance, I already have a property in mind, I just need to know how to go about seeing if their loan is assumable or not. 

User Stats

Votes
Lydia S.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Jun 27 2024, 11:08

@Eli King

Only FHA, VA and USDA loans may be assumable. Do a little google search of assumable loans and you'll find some answers for pros and cons.

For example investopedia.com has a good summary.

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.#2 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jun 30 2024, 11:28
Quote from @Eli King:

I'm seeking strategies for assuming someone else's mortgage as a primary residence. What is the best way to explore if this is an option with the seller's lender? Are there any strategies for making this more desirable for the current lender? 

I never contact the seller's lender since there is a Due on Sale clause. The lender will often cause the loan to be called and squelch the deal. There is an approach that is very successful but it requires understanding of how things work. It takes a little training.

User Stats

Votes
Lydia S.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Jul 1 2024, 05:35
Quote from @Bob P.:
Quote from @Eli King:

I never contact the seller's lender since there is a Due on Sale clause. The lender will often cause the loan to be called and squelch the deal. There is an approach that is very successful but it requires understanding of how things work. It takes a little training.

You are referring to seller financing or an REC/wrap, rather than an assumption.  The seller may or may not be willing to accept one as they are not free and clear from their mortgage until the buy-out.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Puente
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 2 2024, 07:30

Hey Eli, 

Conventional mortgages (Fannie or Freddie) are not assumable. But government loans such as FHA, VA, and USDA are assumable.

When you find a property you like, find out what type of loan is currently on it.  If its a government loan, you can ask if the seller would be open to an assumption.  All this means is that you take over the existing mortgage with the same lender but using your credit, income, and assets (the same way as you would obtaining a new mortgage). 

However, you will need to cover the equity gap.  For example, if the property is worth 300K and the current mortgage is 200K, you will assume the 200K but need the extra 100K to cover the gap. 

The best strategy to do an assumption is to have your documents in order to you can start the process right away.  Get your paystubs, W2's, bank statements, insurance, etc... lined up.  Assumptions take almost double the time as normal underwriting, so don't make the seller wait even more than they have to.

Great Question! 

User Stats

Votes
Karen Wanamarta
Agent
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jul 7 2024, 21:13

@Eli King Did you manage to figure this out? I have a couple assumable properties coming up.