Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
James Samsing
Votes |
Energy Efficient Mortgages

James Samsing
Posted Jun 12 2024, 09:58

Has anyone worked with a lender who has actually closed an FHA, VA or Conventional Energy Efficient Mortgage? Interested in flipping a home that would qualify based on HERS rating + energy savings and would like to partner with a lender to market the property as eligible for EEM. But its seems like these products are imaginary programs that people have heard of but nobody has actually done one.

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 24 2024, 09:33

Hi James,

We at Aslan do these types of mortgages, however there are some limitations for most lenders.

For FHA, VA, and Conventional Energy Efficient Mortgages the property must be occupied as the borrower's primary residence, so they are not eligible for investment properties. Most lenders, will not be able to do this as from your post it does not seem like you are looking to use this property as your primary residence. However, we do have a large breadth of products at Aslan Home Lending, and we will be able to find something that would work for you, although it may not be exactly what you are looking for.

Let me know if you would like to discuss further! 

User Stats

Votes
James Samsing
Votes |
Replied Jun 24 2024, 10:12

This would be for the buyer of a property I am flipping (100+ day hold time so FHA eligible). As the seller I would pay for the energy audit, do the analysis on the work to be done (cost vs savings) and then market the home with a prepackaged improvement contract that would meet lender guidelines (solar, EE windows, etc). 45 day close to allow for enough time to do loan and obtain permits, occupancy COE+2. Buyer closes on Thursday, work is completed on Friday, buyer moves in Saturday. If it works it would eliminate most appraisal gap concerns and I would earn extra margin on the post-closing repairs. I am only interested in working with a lender who has closed these loans and knows the guidelines/overlays. I don't want to go through this process only to be denied 30 days into an escrow period because the lender missed something. This would be a nice win for the lender since I would mandate prequals on the properties. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 25 2024, 13:10

Hey James,

I completely understand the concern, I would want to work with someone who understands the guidelines well, as they are extensive. Rest assured, we have done many of these loans in the past, and I am completely confident in my ability to help your future buyers. Lets schedule a call for sometime this week. Feel free to message me directly or get my email/phone number from my profile.