Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cherisse B.
Votes |
Attorney & CPA referrals for the formation of investment entity

Cherisse B.
Posted Jan 1 2021, 09:00

I'm looking for a collaborative attorney and CPA duo (is that even a thing?), or a full suite practice that offers both legal and CPA services, ideally in the St Petersburg, Tampa, and Central Florida areas.

Planning to use their services for not only the formation of a real estate investment entity, but also for regular retainer services when needed.

If you have any first hand suggestions, please tell me what your experience was like. Let me know if there are any questions I should ask a prospective firm (CPA and/or attorney) when vetting, or things I should look out for from your experience. Looking forward to your recommendations and feedback! Happy New Year everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Schutsky
  • Investor
  • Glen Mills, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Glen Mills, PA
Replied Jan 1 2021, 09:06

Hi Cherisse - We're also looking for the same in the same area! What type of investments are you looking for? We should connect! 

User Stats

Votes
John Thedford#5 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Replied Jan 1 2021, 09:48

You can EASILY form an entity on sunbiz.org. I would talk to a CPA first to determine what the best type of entity is for your needs. My CPA just suggested an S Corp so I researched and filed one. Whatever your do, your next step would be to get an EIN which you can do on IRS.gov. There is a technicality if you do an LLC. DO NOT CONFUSE an LLC or S Corp as having a shield against creditors. That is why you get INSURANCE. I currently carry 1M liability on my rentals. I am starting a new business adventure soon and that will require E&O insurance. My new company is Wealth Realty And Property Management, Inc.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Corsetti
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 1 2021, 10:15

@Cherisse Buddy Hi!

I highly recommend Vardy & Ambrose CPA firm.

Located in Seminole, Florida. Not too far from St. Pete.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 1 2021, 15:22

Cherisse,

Are you open to working with your accountant remotely? I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Cherisse B.
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2021, 12:13

Hi @Andrew Schutsky, happy to connect. Sending you an invite to connect and a message regarding our progress thus far.

User Stats

Votes
Cherisse B.
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2021, 12:27

Thanks for the feedback @John Thedford. If we were setting up an entity as the sole proprietor, we'd probably settle for setting it up the way you suggested. It's certainly much cheaper going that route.

However, we are 2 unmarried individuals, so we want to make sure we are structuring the entity with the appropriate legal operating agreement(s) and an optimal tax structure. 

User Stats

Votes
Cherisse B.
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2021, 12:28

Thanks for referral @Patricia Corsetti, we are are reaching out to them for an interview. Happy New Year!