Is there an "investor boom" taking place?

Is there an "investor boom" taking place?

Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Is it just me or does there seem to be a deluge of people jumping into the investing landscape right now?

I've only been doing this for a little over 5 years now and was wondering
if some of the more experienced people could share with us how this time period compares to the flipper boom that occurred 7 or 8 years ago.

Do you see the same growth in investors?
Do you see any issues coming with everyone buying these properties
as buy and hold rentals?
Can you compare the number of investors that you saw back
in the flipping boom with the number you're seeing today? Is it
a concern? Is it starting to approach those numbers?

Or does it just seem that there is some significant growth given that there was hardly any competition in investing the last few years and we're just seeing
a little bit of a bounce back finally?

1Reply
21 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    You haven't seen anything yet. Right now the new is on the fiscal cliff. Wait until the news channels start picking up the housing market is returning and interest rates might be going up soon.

    The herds will really kick in then and the sellers mentality will jump from buyers market to neutral or sellers market when looking at offers and financing options.

    Some markets have already rebounded. I would be buying up in most markets as much as I can before the competition increases even further.

    2 things typically motivate people (fear of a loss or the potential of a gain). Fear of a loss is the most strongest of them all. When you fear you will lose out on something is what causes people to act.

    2009 was about the rock bottom in most markets. Commercial lags behind residential for a few years in the recovery cycle. Real estate is like stocks in that as soon as you hear the stories to buy, buy, buy the other buyers have purchase low and are holding or selling now. It's all about if you put the real hard work in and analyze the trend early to capitalize instead of being lazy and wait for the news to tell you it is safe to buy now.

    My clients are buying up all kinds of commercial property right now.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
    13y

    As much as I've enjoyed the nearly 4 year ride from 0 to 49 units, I fantasize about the resurgence of a seller's market. (I think "it" just moved, thinking about it!)

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 87 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    CA observations: Another bubble is (not so quietly) forming in residential. It is institution/corp/pool/REIT driven (large entities with cash). With lower and medium priced properties being purchased in mass by these entities, the inventory is depleted except for properties priced just above the threshold (Calif seems to be $200k, but rising as we speak). I just sold (in Oct - for $250k) a house that was 300k 5 yrs ago and $170K a yr ago. It is now worth $275K (but is it really?).. Again, there is gross disparity between financing and rent rates. All of the unfinished housing developments are now being finished (due to lack of inventory). New starts and land development is all that is left. Land acquisition, feasibility and infrastructure is the current game. Buy and hold for a bit longer then sell. That, or buy and prep with infrastructure to make it more attractive then sell when developers are clamoring for land. In short, the story in 2013 will be new construction. The story behind the story is being written now - Land acquisition.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    13y

    From the Fall 2011 to now, we have witnessed a massive wealth transfer from sellers to buyers. Evidently, all market participants have realized this and as a result the inventory is dwindling to a multi-year low.

    IMPO, once a resolution of fiscal cliff is reached, The unprecedented enthusiasm of the investors will engender another large storm of buying!

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    13y

    In answer to the question about whether an "investor boom" is occurring, my understanding is that a deluge of "unhappy cash" has entered the real estate market from people frustrated at the low interest rates of more traditional investment vehicles, like long-term CDs. Some also see the stock market as uncertain. So that cash (often from self-directed IRAs) has flowed either into direct property purchases, or into hard-money loans to investors. I recall reading that an unprecedented volume of real estate purchases were made with cash in 2012. A cash buy of real estate was virtually unheard of a couple of decades ago. When interest rates return to normal levels I'd bet you'll see less cash in the market.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    We are seeing a lot of Canadian CASH buyers in upstate NY bidding prices up.
    My BIL (an investor in Phoenix AZ) is also seeing a lot of CDN$ invested in single family homes for managed rental then resale anticipating a price rebound.

  • Tracy RoycePro Member
    Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2012 · 172 posts · 34 votes
    13y

    Here in Phx area typically cash closings make up about 10% of monthly sales; its been near 40% for awhile. First time home buyers using financing to purchase in the under $150K range are basically lucky to get a home these days, as cash buyers are gobbling up that inventory

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I think it's like when poker first came on TV and everyone ran out and started playing. Then when real estate shows came on TV, everyone jumped on that bandwagon. I went to a few storage auctions about ten years ago. Hardly anyone was there bidding. After it came on TV, I went to one and it was packed. I imagine there's all kinds of people looking to ship people's stuff across the country or mine for gold in a foreign land. The sheep see something on TV and they want to do it.

    I know several people who have jumped on the real estate bandwagon. My neighbor has a rental house. My carpet guy bought two houses. His mailman bought three. My furnace guy is looking to buy one. My roofer has about fifteen.

    What I don't understand are the people who work a job making their boss rich and have a few rentals on the side. It baffles me that they don't buy more when they see the returns that they're getting.

    When I started buying in the mid 90's, you didn't have as many people flipping as you do now. Anytime it was talked about, some Debbie Downer would have to pipe up about how their friend/cousin/nephew went bankrupt trying to flip a house.

    Things have changed. You also have WAY lower interest rates now, which makes it easier.

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    13y

    I've definitely noticed an investor boom in my area. Everyone and their grandmother has a rental property, is looking for a rental property, learning how to flip, actively doing a flip, etc.

    I can't complain as I'am a fairly new investor also.

    My question is how are you guys separating yourselves from these new investors? Profit margins aside, a lot of flips in my area feature very similar fixtures, design elements, etc. Everyone is doing open layouts, granite, and neutral colors.

    I've talked to a few investors in my area and what they're doing is buying up 2/1's and doing bigger rehabs that require large additions. New investors don't usually touch these type of flips as they require more rehab experience.

    Lipstick foreclosures are hard to come by and are usually bid up to the point where profit is slim to none. Im looking at new acquisition techniques that others in my market have yet to capitalize on.

    Also, I'am researching ecofriendly and sustainable technology and will hopefully implement the two in my future flips.

    These are just a few of my ideas... How else are you guys differentiating your businesses from the newbies and what strategies and niches are you seeing?

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    13y

    Flippers are market makers.
    Investors are rental property owners.
    I myself is a speculator:) I prefer properties in prime condition and get very little rental return. I bet on appreciation mainly.

  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 14 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Pat Lewis:
    We are seeing a lot of Canadian CASH buyers in upstate NY bidding prices up.
    My BIL (an investor in Phoenix AZ) is also seeing a lot of CDN$ invested in single family homes for managed rental then resale anticipating a price rebound.

    And we are seeing CA based entities bringing hordes of cash to county auctions.. Been outbid now a couple of times.. Mom and pop outfits ,like me, just cannot compete with big guys.. This entity has been buying at pretty much every auction.. They can live with razor thin margins, i guess. With small timers like us, the risk gets too high, especially for courthouse auctions.

    Bummed at being outbid:-(

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Xing Zhu:
    Flippers are market makers.
    Investors are rental property owners.
    I myself is a speculator:) I prefer properties in prime condition and get very little rental return. I bet on appreciation mainly.

    So true. Quite a few BP members fit this profile. :)

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Tara G.:

    And we are seeing CA based entities bringing hordes of cash to county auctions.. Been outbid now a couple of times.. Mom and pop outfits ,like me, just cannot compete with big guys.. This entity has been buying at pretty much every auction.. They can live with razor thin margins, i guess. With small timers like us, the risk gets too high, especially for courthouse auctions.

    Bummed at being outbid:-(

    Tara,

    Fortunately, the big boys haven't come to the Silicon Valley yet. I guess our prices are too high for them to form a REIT as their exit strategy.

    The theme at the auctions have been buy high, sell higher. It has worked for the flippers in the recent months. Deals are rare, and it there are more investors day after day. It seems like real estate in the U.S. is on sale to the entire world. Only the native here haven't figured it out yet.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    13y

    Minh: It seems like real estate in the U.S. is on sale to the entire world. Only the native here haven't figured it out yet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    How many units has this girl bought in the following link?

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=281786008610319&set=a.208408852614702.41700.208371489285105&type=1&theater

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Xing Zhu:
    Minh: It seems like real estate in the U.S. is on sale to the entire world. Only the native here haven't figured it out yet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    How many units has this girl bought in the following link?

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=281786008610319&set=a.208408852614702.41700.208371489285105&type=1&theater

    I cannot figure it out from the link. You tell me. My opinion still stands though. Real estate in the U.S. is currently on sale to the entire world.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    13y

    Minh:
    I cannot figure it out from the link. You tell me. My opinion still stands though. Real estate in the U.S. is currently on sale to the entire world.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

    I wouldn't know either, but I guess quite a few.

    This is part of the capital globalization process. In the last 20 years, US has focused on manufacturing houses. Now the price level is so attractive to the whole world that many foreign financial entities and individuals consider this as an opportunity they can't afford to miss, especially when the money printing machines of central banks around the globe are running 7/24.

    I remember that Greenpan was supporting the idea of subprime loan before the crisis; he was wrong. Then he said after the crisis that a good solution to solving the housing problem was to set a fire; he was wrong again:) People will buy assets with good value.

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    I agree with Joel, we haven't seen anything yet. My take on it is that more people are entering due to other investment returns are extremely low(stock, 401K, cd's, etc.) and word is out that it is a buyers market right now. I know in atlanta, I have seen several people make that leap, and I myself have got back into the market but this time as a full blown investor controlling my own deal vs. just putting in money and someone else gets more on the return.

    The education and awareness is higher and more accessible as well in my opinion than before or maybe my interest is, LOL. I'm no expert but I hope to be sitting heavy on many properties when it turns to a seller market. If I haven't learn anything from my past dealings I have learned when every is buying sell, and when every is selling buy a discounted rates with several exit strategies.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.