Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Abdul R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Piscataway, NJ
Votes |
Best areas for rental properties in NJ

Abdul R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Piscataway, NJ
Posted Nov 15 2012, 14:34

Looking for opinion/advise of an experienced investor who know NJ and the tri-state very well. What area in NJ are best for holding rental properties. I picked NJ is because I live there. I am thinking/hoping to buy a property or two every year for positive cash flow. Any general tips is also welcome. I am new and never been a landlord. I have read BP, a couple of good books and now ready to invest.

Thanks,
Abdul

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Araujo
  • New York city, New York
Votes |
  • New York city, New York
Replied Feb 5 2017, 18:30

Hey it's great to hear that people are looking in New Jersey, I live in Staten Island and the cheapest homes start at 400k. Right over the bridge in jersey I found homes around 80-150k for 1 or 2 family homes, from the looks of it they are good to start but yes the area is not the best.

Im looking at a 3 family home in Newark for 160k it looks like it needs very little work I'm going with my realtor at the end of this week to go check it out. It brings in 2.5k a month for rent each month.

It would be great if I could get some experience feedback.

My plan is to put down 20% on it and mortgage the rest and rent it out and do work little by little over the next 6-7 months and try to refinance it.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Slew
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Union city, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Union city, NJ
Replied Feb 5 2017, 19:42

im interested in the newark, union city, jersey city areas as well. i think there are good rental investments

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Eric P.
  • South Jersey, NJ
Votes |
  • South Jersey, NJ
Replied Feb 7 2017, 14:21

I'm in NJ and though I haven't pulled the trigger just yet, pickins do seem kinda slim compared to what I read on these types of forums. To get something in a "not-bad area" not even a good area, just not that bad.. You're looking at over $175k for something turn key, but still not great. Taxes are a killer.. $140k homes that need lots of work that appraise at $210k fixed up have taxes close to $7k in most counties. From what I've seen the best way to cashflow anything significant in NJ is to find something that has a lot of surface work needed, nothing major, just basic upgrades. Know how to do it yourself and have friends or family willing to lend a hand for pizza and beer. Know how to make a bathroom look like a $5,000 job for $500. Find deals on hardwood at your local habitat for humanity or building materials auction and have your crazy but handy uncle put them in for you. Maybe you're into the house for $5,000 in repairs but it looks like you did $40k. Then maybe you can get an ROI of 15% on your initial cash layout. But I have no idea how you get close to the 2% mark in NJ unless you get very lucky and something lands in your lap.

I'm very tempted to go over the bridge and start looking in either PA or DE as I'm in South Jersey.    

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Priore
  • Investor
  • Wyckoff, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wyckoff, NJ
Replied Feb 8 2017, 03:58

I've found that there are very, very few "investor friendly" realtors out there.  Most are trained as sales people to work with a retail buyer.  If you find an agent who is an investor and knows how to find good investment properties, hang on to them.  

I would recommend doing your own marketing and trying to uncover your own deals.  As others have said, they are out there.  Its hard work and can get daunting, but folks are doing it successfully every day.

We have bought several bank-owned properties recently in Elizabeth and East Orange.  They require extensive rehab but we are hitting the 2% rule on many once we lease and re-fi out.  

User Stats

Votes
Hiral Lai
  • Clifton, NJ
Votes |
  • Clifton, NJ
Replied Feb 14 2017, 18:44

@ Robert Soto - WOW that was a lot but really great insight and consistent with what I have been thinking about doing recently - looking out of state. I feel like that may come with its own challenges though but I do think it's worth investigating what it would take. Any recommendations on how to start would be great. 

@ Joseph Scorese - I like the advice on finding a transactional real estate agent, but would love to hear if anyone has any recommendations on who might be good to go with in the Northern NJ area. Or even a recommendation on the best way to find one? Based on Vincent's response, it seems it is not as easy to find these agents.

User Stats

Votes
Gali Niv
  • West Orange, NJ
Votes |
  • West Orange, NJ
Replied May 17 2017, 00:45

Hi All,

I am new to real estate (have not yet purchased property) and I am looking to invest in properties in NJ. Either buy and rent out and/or buy and flip.

I understand NJ taxes are high and therefore I would love to get some insight where are the most recommended areas to invest in for the best ROI.

Any other tips and recommendations about how to go about buying my first property will be much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Alek Liskov
  • Investor
  • Clifton, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clifton, NJ
Replied May 19 2017, 05:36

@Vincent Priore if you know any good agents - please connect - I am looking for one! And I agree with you that rehab properties are the only way to get close to that 2% rule.

@Gali Niv you have to do a lot of the research yourself. I've really started liking Realtor.com for their multifamily filter. Although, as anyone in NJ would tell you, MLS deals are not that great or if they are they don't last long. Anyway, do your research. Look at properties. Use the BP calculator to plug in some numbers and see how it works. Have a good pulse on what a 1/2/3BR would rent for in areas. That's how you can start doing a lot of math in your head.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Moran
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 4 2017, 13:06

I know this is an old thread but if you are trying to get into the NJ market at a relatively "low" entry point then you will be looking at markets like Newark & Irvington as of 2017. Finding an investor friendly agent would help but they are more worried about selling their $500,000 plus dream homes then helping sell a fixer upper to a potential investor. I submitted a few offers on a couple of foreclosures in Newark but quickly realized that I would have to go way above my price point. I decided to "go west young man" as the NJ market is quickly reaching it's peak, as far as I'm concerned. Take a look at the post above by Robert Soto , he explains it perfectly.