Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lawrence
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Votes |
Electronic or Key Door Locks

Chris Lawrence
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Posted Nov 19 2018, 05:14

I'm starting to add to my rental portfolio and looking to see if I should switch to electronic door locks or traditional key & lock...... I'm fearful that the electronic door locks might cause more glitches and issues down the road.

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 19 2018, 05:41

@Chris Lawrence what type of properties are you renting out? I personally am a big fan of land lord locks, and I have used them on all of my buildings here in the Berwyn/Lyons area. You buy them online at the website, and they are all master keyed (which is awesome!). You can also change lock cylinders with a special control key, which will reduce the cost of changing locks over the long haul. My apartments are rented out to the upper end of the working class for the most part, so I wouldn't use electronic locks. 

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lawrence
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Replied Nov 21 2018, 07:27
@John Warren thanks for the insight John. I rent out single family houses in Rochester NY. I will look into the locks that you use.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jim Adrian
  • Architect
  • Papillion, NE
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Papillion, NE
Replied Nov 21 2018, 07:48

@Chris Lawrence

It really depends on  how much you want to spend.  I would take a serious look at "removable core" lock system or others call it "landlord locks".  This allows for a "great grand master key" system.  This allows you to have a master key that will work at every place you have a lock.  This system can also be integrated into electronic locks or electric strikes as well.  I would talk with a door hardware consultant, a door hardware supplier or a locksmith.  Its a pricey upfront cost but time and effort saved on the back end.  You wont find your answers at a big box store. Lots of options here but you need to consult a professional.

If you want something simple, look at Kwik Set locks, they have electronic locks but this is individually.  Some you can program several codes, one for the tenant and one for the landlord.  As long as the batteries work you are good and don't need a key.  This will require individual key management.   You may find some of these on sale at a big box store on Black Friday.

https://www.kwikset.com/

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Blankenship
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 21 2018, 07:50

Stick to original key locks - It's easier for the tenant to control access as the "code" in a electronic lock will not be just passed around. And it's easier for them to malfunction and having to be changed more frequently.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Hirt
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Nov 21 2018, 11:47
@Chris Lawrence kwikset 816 15 smt. You can buy on amazon for about $30 each. Rekey them yourself when a tenant moves out.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lawrence
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Replied Nov 24 2018, 07:02

@Shane Hirt Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lawrence
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Replied Nov 24 2018, 07:02

@Bryan Blankenship Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lawrence
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Replied Nov 24 2018, 07:03

@Jim Adrian Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 24 2018, 17:46

@Chris Lawrence the land lord lock system has been one of the best "systems" I have invested in. The most exciting day for me when I take over a new building is throwing away the bag of old keys from previous land lords. I am managing 52 units in the Berwyn/Lyons area on this system, and I also have a separate master key setup through them for a 20 unit apartment complex in South Bend, Indiana. 

One other tip that I gleaned here on bigger pockets was to delete locking door handles and replace them with the dummy handles like you would use on a hall closet (no lock). This prevents lock outs, and it also reduces your up front cost to re-key a place. I have never had any tenant complain, and I always explain that the bolt lock is the only lock that is providing any real security. 

I would really think about your goals with something like this. If you are planning to have multiple properties, then the electronic locks could turn into a real headache. 

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lawrence
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honeoye Falls, NY
Replied Nov 25 2018, 05:39

@John Warren That is a good idea with the dummy handle. I will be using that for sure. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Allen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Nov 25 2018, 05:59
For my personal home electronic locks all day long. For any rentals, dumb locks. As has been said, a tenant can change to code to an electric lock, and then all of the sudden, you’re locked out...