Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Holly Yankus
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
Easy/Beginner Excel Bookkeeping Document?

Holly Yankus
  • Clearwater, FL
Posted Nov 14 2016, 10:46

Hi,

I am a new REI this year! Woohoo! I have a SFH and a duplex. (We are living in one side of the duplex for a year, so I technically only have 2 rentals right now). I am going crazy trying to figure out the best way to get started with bookkeeping. I am going to have a lot of backlogging to do as far as tax prep goes because we didn't realize we would be owning rentals until August of this year. I have a business account, but as of now, only rent and mortgage is going in and out of the account because we do not have enough cash flow to cover all the rehab we are doing. I thought about buying quickbooks, but I'm worried it won't work right since we are using our personal account for expenses right now. Judging from other posts, a simple excel document will work well for 2 rentals. I'm just having trouble finding one and figuring out how to use it. I saw one advertised on here, but it seemed very complicated to me. Anyone have an easy/beginner one that would be good for me? Also, any recommendations for short online classes or youtube videos on bookkeeping would be great. I'm somewhat numbers/accounting savvy, but that's definitely not where my expertise is.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Hyman
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Nov 14 2016, 11:13

@Holly Yankus Congratulations on becoming a REI! Have you seen this thread?

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/29795-excel-spreadsheet-for-expenses-tax-prep

User Stats

Votes
Holly Yankus
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied Nov 30 2016, 09:57

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks @Daniel Hyman.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.