flippers/common sense

flippers/common sense

Handyman · IL · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I am property owner/fixer-upper.
I get tired of watching flipping shows on TV with investors who hire such ignorant people to manage/intern their properties. They are either fresh out of college and never held as much as a hammer in their hand, or they have a wife breathing down there neck, but who won't pick up a paintbrush herself. I just don't get it.

How do these people get these jobs???? I know it's TV, but I've worked enough jobs to know that "real" business does work this way. We've all had incompetent managers, etc.

For all you investors/flippers out there....I am a 46 yr old female, who NEEDS a job. I am an experienced painter, fixer-upper, with enough common sense to manage any property flip/rehab you have. I will cut out the nonsense and get the job done. I live in Midwest, but will relocate.

0Reply
27 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Rogann - Maybe you could fill in your profile a bit more so people can get to know more about you? Fill in your experience, goals, and other info and it'll be easier for people to find you.

    As for the rehab shows, I actually think the parts your complaining about are the most true to life parts of the shows. People deal with incompetent assistants and nagging family members all the time . . .

    As for a job that you're seeking . . . without knowing where you are (put it in the profile), and so on, no one would know to get in touch with you.

  • Handyman · IL · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Thanks Josh, I will finish profile today

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y

    Why aren't you doing your own flips?

    Personally, I'd be hesitant to hire someone to manage the most important part of my business unless I knew they could do it successfully themselves...

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    17y

    I HOPE you already know,,,but SOME of those flippin shows are as real as Butch Cassidy and Sundance kid.

    SOME of them are all blow,no go. All hat, no cows cowboys.

    In otherwords as realistic as all those fantastic car crashes OR watching professional wrestling!! Its like real estate flipping stunt men!!

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Just Don:
    I HOPE you already know,,,but SOME of those flippin shows are as real as Butch Cassidy and Sundance kid.

    SOME of them are all blow,no go. All hat, no cows cowboys.

    In otherwords as realistic as all those fantastic car crashes OR watching professional wrestling!! Its like real estate flipping stunt men!!

    Wait a minute you're telling me that those guys who buy a home worth $250,000 for $125,000 sink in $25,000 in repairs and say they made $100,000 profits isn't true WTF :protest:

    :mrgreen:

  • General Contractor · Greenville, PA · Member since 2009 · 50 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I think most of these flip shows on TV are just a big joke. Check out link for scam info on some of these shows!!!

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18985912/

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    17y

    The guy from Texas that comes across as a giant jerk is the biggest scam!! Google his name when you have a few hours to read all the proof!!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Minneapolis · Member since 2009 · 60 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    TLC is producing a show "Flippers in Trouble" it will follow flippers as they to buy REO's in California , rehab and try (unsucessfully) to resell. After not being able to resell or rent, the properties are going into foreclosure AGAIN.

    Maybe this will cause newbies to think twice before trying to flip houses!

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    My wife would watch these programs, then look at me and say, "Why do YOU have so many problems?" :lol:
    *
    *
    *
    I must admit that the show "Flipping Out" was one of my guilty pleasures.. It is extremely entertaining and had the best line in a flipping show ever:

    "I do not want to party like it's 1999, I want to sell a house!"

    I do hope to see that one return.......

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Harrison Painter:
    I must admit that the show "Flipping Out" was one of my guilty pleasures.. It is extremely entertaining and had the best line in a flipping show ever:

    "I do not want to party like it's 1999, I want to sell a house!"

    I do hope to see that one return.......


    Jeff Lewis, the guy in Flipping Out, is having a little legal battle.

    See: http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/12/13/ugly-betty-versus-flipping-out-in-court/

    :cool:

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    This is just another amusing story of mixing real estate and Hollywood ego.

    These type of situations are not uncommon out in the field.

    Just another reason why an attention to detail is so important in this business. The little things can blow up into major issues if a rehabber is not careful.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Minneapolis · Member since 2009 · 60 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    Has any one heard if "Flipping out" is going to return or has it been cancelled?

    Whatever happened to Armando in San Antonio? - he seemed like such a easy guy to work for! :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · Baroda, MI · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    I liked property ladder. i havent seen any new ones of that. i also liked the original flip this/that? house when the SC team had it. Trademark properties. I loved them until i heard their fearless leader say on a radio interview with JT Foxx that he, "hates the mom & pops.". Like he started out as Donald Trump.

    That guy from Texas BOTHERS me. The guy from atlanta was a total fraud...the guys from new england are ok, but they bore me....

    flipping out- i can't do it....i tried....i just can't relate to that guy at all.

  • Ridgeland, MS · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Just Don:
    I HOPE you already know,,,but SOME of those flippin shows are as real as Butch Cassidy and Sundance kid.

    SOME of them are all blow,no go. All hat, no cows cowboys.

    In otherwords as realistic as all those fantastic car crashes OR watching professional wrestling!! Its like real estate flipping stunt men!!

    Wait! Those aren't real??!! oh lord, I got in the wrong business. Oh well maybe I can get a slot on one of those crab fishing boats. :wink:

  • Ridgeland, MS · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim B:
    Has any one heard if "Flipping out" is going to return or has it been cancelled?

    Whatever happened to Armando in San Antonio? - he seemed like such a easy guy to work for! :lol:

    funny story, I was in LA a few months ago speaking at a REI group seminar. My wife and I were walking down Hollywood Blvd and some guy was selling tickets to one of the talk shows, think it was Jimmy Kimmell.
    We both kept looking at him like he looked familier. Turned out it was the dude Jeff fired from the show! His assistant's husband. Small world I guess.

  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    17y

    "Flipping Out Season 3
    For all the Flipping Out fans out there, you'll be happy to hear that season 3 is officially in production! Filming began today and will continue through the early part of summer. Check back to our blog periodically, as we will announce the official date you will be able to catch up with Jeff Lewis, Ryan Brown, Jenni Pulos, and Zoila. You won't want to miss a fresh season of drama!"

    That's from Ryan Brown's Blog...

  • Real Estate Consultant · Minneapolis · Member since 2009 · 60 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    Attention: "Flipping Out" producers

    I'm a flipper/investor with some SERIOUS mental issues - will you film my projects if the public gets tired of Jeff and OCD?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.