Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aubrey Ford
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
What to do? 1031? Sell? continue to rent?

Aubrey Ford
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Posted

Short story I have a SFH that I rented out and the tenant is essentially abandoning. They can no longer afford the rent due to a divorce. Now I am trying to decide to sell (take the long term cap gains hit) versus a 1031 exchange (never done one) or just relist it.

Current Mortgage: $75k, Appraised at $160k 4 months ago. Rents are at $1100/mo.   

Sell option: I could use the cash to help fund a house hack I am in the middle of. It would let me finish that 12+ months sooner.

relist option: it makes about 6% CoC but I am leaving a lot equity that I feel I should tap into. (if I refi and pull out the equity it makes the CoC negative for the next 3-5 yrs)

1031 option: sounds good, but I am concerned about finding the right property in the timeframe and my inexperience with this  creates risk.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied

The 1031 exchange seems daunting but it is not. You have 45 days to find a replacement property and you can ID 3. You can start looking now and assume that returns you find on current properties for sale will be similar to what they are now with a few exceptions. 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied

@Aubrey Ford. It's not uncommon for our clients to find the time frames a bit intimidating on their first 1031 exchange. Like @Alex Olson is saying you may start looking for potential replacements you like at any time before your 45 day identification time frame starts. 

You could even go under contract for a replacement property within the 45 day timeframe, if you find a property you really like. If you decide to sell, just be proactive and things should go a lot smoother for ya. We find that 95% of our exchanges are successful despite the time frames. 

There are no penalties for an incomplete exchange, You would then just pay the tax like normal. The fear of missing the 45 day time frame is almost always greater than the reality of it. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied
Quote from @Aubrey Ford:

Short story I have a SFH that I rented out and the tenant is essentially abandoning. They can no longer afford the rent due to a divorce. Now I am trying to decide to sell (take the long term cap gains hit) versus a 1031 exchange (never done one) or just relist it.

Current Mortgage: $75k, Appraised at $160k 4 months ago. Rents are at $1100/mo.   

Sell option: I could use the cash to help fund a house hack I am in the middle of. It would let me finish that 12+ months sooner.

relist option: it makes about 6% CoC but I am leaving a lot equity that I feel I should tap into. (if I refi and pull out the equity it makes the CoC negative for the next 3-5 yrs)

1031 option: sounds good, but I am concerned about finding the right property in the timeframe and my inexperience with this  creates risk.

6% CoC is good, don't do anything. You are making money on appreciation and debt paydown by doing nothing. If you refinance you are going to lose a % of your money in refinance cost to the bank and (I assume), get a higher interest rate.

The way to get rich is to get more properties like this, not pay a bunch of fee's to tap into your equity.  Refinancing an investment is a good strategy to buy more homes and continue the snowball, but if you have a low fixed interest rate you would be crazy to refinance. 

Let the equity build!  Equity is King!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I think 1031-exchanges are a good idea, but there are, of course, many factors that go into what may be best for you. My father-in-law almost always does 1031-exchanges when selling his properties.