Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Williams
Votes |
Need strategy to acquire brother-in-laws house

Aaron Williams
Posted

Hey BP, I have a family member in my community who's planning on leaving their property in a few months due to work commute and affordability. The loan currently has a modification, and at this point they’re interested in simply returning the home to the lender. They’d like to move no later than October. Any strategy to acquire this?...Subto maybe? Is it even worth it? Maybe operate it as a mid-term/short-term rental?

Mortgage is around $3500/$3600 (with modification), and has little to no equity...rents in the area are around $3100. The home is right across from a shopping center anchored by a Target, Kohls, LA fitness, and more. Surrounded by schools, close to hospitals and freeways. Even a hotel project is underway. Additionally the city is having massive population growth. 

Let me know your thoughts.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied

@Aaron Williams, the questions should be: how deep are your pockets? And, how much cash do you want to lose every month?

Unless you can convince the lender to do a seriously low short sale, I'd take a hard pass on your relative's problem.  

With no equity and negative cash flow from the get-go, I'd say if you want a hole to throw money into, get yourself a nice boat.  At least you can enjoy the ride once in a while.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied
Quote from @Aaron Williams:

Hey BP, I have a family member in my community who's planning on leaving their property in a few months due to work commute and affordability. The loan currently has a modification, and at this point they’re interested in simply returning the home to the lender. They’d like to move no later than October. Any strategy to acquire this?...Subto maybe? Is it even worth it? Maybe operate it as a mid-term/short-term rental?

Mortgage is around $3500/$3600 (with modification), and has little to no equity...rents in the area are around $3100. The home is right across from a shopping center anchored by a Target, Kohls, LA fitness, and more. Surrounded by schools, close to hospitals and freeways. Even a hotel project is underway. Additionally the city is having massive population growth. 

Happy to chat through it if you want some advice. How many bedrooms does the property have?

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Replied

The numbers are terrible. This is no deal at all just leave it alone.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Williams
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Marc Winter:

@Aaron Williams, the questions should be: how deep are your pockets? And, how much cash do you want to lose every month?

Unless you can convince the lender to do a seriously low short sale, I'd take a hard pass on your relative's problem.  

With no equity and negative cash flow from the get-go, I'd say if you want a hole to throw money into, get yourself a nice boat.  At least you can enjoy the ride once in a while.

Hey Marc, thanks for the response, I greatly appreciate it! I'll pass on the money hole.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Williams
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Minna Reid:

The numbers are terrible. This is no deal at all just leave it alone.

Hey Mianna, 

Thanks for the advice and direction!

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Williams
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:
Quote from @Aaron Williams:

Happy to chat through it if you want some advice. How many bedrooms does the property have?

Hey Nicolas, 3/3, 1542 sqft