Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
Real Estate Investing-Section 8

Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Posted

Hello everyone,

New to the forum.  I am a 45 year old teacher looking to invest in section 8 housing in states that have a high demand.  What are some states that i can start in?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Roth
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied

Hi Nicholas-

Great question!

You are a teacher from California looking to invest in states that have a high demand for section 8 housing and asked some suggestions for good states to invest.

I am a retired teacher myself and all of my tenants are section 8.

I personally love section 8 tenants and proving safe and affordable housing for them.

I am in Michigan. There are many high demand section 8 communities in Michigan because not all landlords cater to section 8 so tenants are happy and stay if you provide attractive housing for them.

To Your Success!

User Stats

Votes
Myeasha Jones
  • Property Manager
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied

Hi! I would say if you are looking for good places with section 8 California! Bay area, especially. Alot of landlords although illegal to don't rent to section 8.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
  • Chino, CA
Replied

Thank you, Jeff!  Do you have any referrals for PM or any of the CORE four?  Looking for a reliable team since I’m out of state.  

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied

@Nicholas Nakamura we currently manage almost 700 doors, almost 100 of them being S8 leases.

DM us if interested...

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Columbus, Ohio is a great market to consider if you're leaning towards appreciation. I moved here from Florida after seeing the expansive growth in the Columbus market.

There are multiple billion dollar companies dumping money into the city, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon. And a lot of start-up companies are migrating to this city as well, because of the efficient costs of living, the OSU campus that has thousands of students graduating and looking for jobs locally, and the availability of land.

Everything that’s going on here in Columbus is attracting investors and other businesses from all over. A recent study showed that 80 people are moving to this city every single week, which will continue to increase housing demand.

User Stats

Votes
Aristotle Kumpis
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Forest, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Forest, CA
Replied

Section 8 is everywhere. And it's in high demand everywhere due to high inflation and people not being able to afford housing these days. So you can pick any market really. But keep in mind that you are not able to market or select only tenants that do or do not have a voucher. That's a fair housing violation. I've seen people who want to rent a $4000/month house with a voucher, down to a $600/month house. Our company has a few markets where you can buy property in which you have the possibility of getting a section 8 tenant. A few of my rentals have section 8 and I love it.

User Stats

Votes
Kerlous Tadres
Pro Member
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

Hello everyone,

New to the forum.  I am a 45 year old teacher looking to invest in section 8 housing in states that have a high demand.  What are some states that i can start in?

Hey Nick, 

I have two duplexes out here in Columbus,Ohio and would love to see if I could get your CORE 4 set up in order to get the best deals and have a great team around you. Let me know if there is anyway I can help

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Ohio hello steubenville ohio

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied

Hey Nicholas, C Class neighborhoods in Columbus are more geared towards Section 8 and long term renters. You should check Cleveland market too. Let me know how I can help!

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Hi, definitely check out Ohio and please reach out if you have any questions. Best wishes!

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

Hello everyone,

Cleveland and Dayton OH would be great for what you're looking for.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hello definitely Ohio in steubenville Ohio has over 800 people on waiting list .I have over 100 vacant lots. With utilities in place city roads   jv deals

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Mackaylee Beach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

Have you explored the Kansas City market?

I would love to connect with you to share not only our current market insights but also information on available turnkey properties.