Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
House Hacking Partnership

Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Jul 10 2024, 22:46

Hey there,

I'm almost ready to purchase a house hack and have found some good deals right off the MLS. Trouble is that I don't yet have long-term employment in place (just moved to the area a month ago). I really want to make this happen, but I won't be qualified without that income. I have the reserves in place for the 5% down payment, 15K for emergencies, and have no debts!

I recently connected with a gal through a BP meetup and want to try and organize a partnership. I would provide the cash and backup reserves, I house hack one of the units, then she becomes the cosigner for me in order to be approved. In exchange, I'm thinking that she would collect all the cash flow and potential equity until I refinance and get the loan originated in my name... Is this a thing? Is this a equitable partnership?

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jul 11 2024, 01:37

@Jacob Zivanovich

Partnering with someone who can co-sign your loan can be a great way to get started with your house hack, provided the partnership is equitable and well-structured. Ensure both parties have a clear understanding of their roles, compensation, and exit strategy. Consulting with legal and financial professionals will help protect both your interests and create a solid foundation for the partnership.

Good luck with your investment!

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Jul 11 2024, 08:00

@Wale Lawal

Hey thanks for the reply! Having everything in writing and that both parties understand what is going on is key. I'll take this into consideration.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Fernwood
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 11 2024, 10:47

In the last 16+ years, I’ve worked with many investors. Occasionally, I'm asked about two or more people pooling their resources to buy properties. This can work, but there is a potential pitfall: assumptions.

NOTE: I am not an attorney or business advisor. The following is a list of topics I've encountered in partnership agreements, although it's not exhaustive. I advise working together to identify and agree on potential issues. Then, have the document reviewed by an attorney.

For example, suppose two people decide to pool resources and invest together. They have known each other for many years, so no issues are anticipated. A few months later, the refrigerator breaks down at a property. One wants to install a used refrigerator to save money, while the other wants a new refrigerator with a warranty. Although this seems trivial, I have seen friends argue over less. How do you minimize future problems? By writing and signing an agreement that covers as many potential issues as possible. Below are some items I’ve seen in teaming agreements.

1. Ownership Interest: Clearly define the percentage of ownership each party has in the property. This is usually based on the proportion of the down payment, mortgage payments, and other costs each party contributes.
  2. Financing Details: Define who will pay for what. This includes the mortgage, who will be named on the mortgage, and how you'll split the mortgage payments. Also, define how you'll share the acquisition costs, such as the down payment, renovation, and closing costs.
  3. Payment Responsibilities: Explain how to divide and pay for regular costs like mortgage, property taxes, insurance, homeowners association fees (if applicable), and upkeep expenses.
  4. Management and Maintenance: Agree on how property maintenance, repairs, and improvements will be handled, including decision-making processes, funding for these activities, and responsibilities for performing or managing the work.
  5. Single Decision Point: For example, I've seen situations where one person agreed to replace an appliance while another strongly opposed it. This kind of indecision is harmful when running a business. One individual needs to make the final decisions.
  6. Dispute Resolution: Define and agree on a method for resolving disputes that may arise, such as mediation or arbitration, to avoid litigation.
  7. Change in Marital Status: What happens to the ownership if a party gets married or divorced? What happens if a party dies or becomes incapacitated?
  8. Exit Strategy: Include provisions for what happens if one party wants to sell their interest in the property. This could involve a right of first refusal for the other party, buyout terms, and a method for determining the sale price.
  9. Rental and Use: Define the rules for renting out the property or parts of it, including how income and expenses will be divided. Also, agree on how the property will be used, who can live there, and under what conditions.
  10. Contribution Reconciliation: Determine a process for handling situations where one party cannot meet their financial obligations or if there are significant discrepancies in contributions to expenses.
  11. Legal and Professional Fees: Decide how legal and other professional fees related to the purchase and management of the property will be shared.
  12. Taxes: How will the tax advantages be divided?
  13. Signatures and Legal Advice: All parties must sign the agreement, and each party is advised to seek independent legal advice to understand their rights and obligations fully.

Summary

The hours you spend creating the agreement will likely save your friendship and legal fees.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Jul 11 2024, 19:45

@Eric Fernwood

Hey Eric, thank you for the detailed response! I saved this for my own documents to use later on. It seems that this type of partnership could very well work, as long as each point is addressed and formally looked at by a professional. 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jul 12 2024, 02:04
Quote from @Jacob Zivanovich:

@Wale Lawal

Hey thanks for the reply! Having everything in writing and that both parties understand what is going on is key. I'll take this into consideration.

My pleasure! Keep learning and growing...

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#2 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 12 2024, 05:37

This is a high risk investment for anyone to consider and your best bet is to find a long-term job and qualify on your own.

1) Two people applying for a mortgage will go against both applicant's DTI in full.
2) What if there is no cash-flow and no equity/ appreciation.
What can force you to sell the property keeping her in a bad investment
3) What is the market turns and you are not able to refinance the property?

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Jul 12 2024, 09:38

Jacob,

If you do go ahead with the purchase, be sure to review the ownership interests in the property with your Insurance Agent to make sure that all parties that have an interest in the property are included in the policy.  Depending on how you structure the other parties interest (on title, on mortgage, sepparate agreement, etc.) may determine how they should be listed on the policy or if they should be listed