Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Josh Silvester
Votes |
Has anyone bought a house with crumbling foundation???

Josh Silvester
Posted May 21 2024, 20:16

Curious if there’s anyone out there that’s recently bought a home with a crumbling foundation. Specifically in CT it’s a hot topic so would love to hear anyone’s experience. Were you able to negotiate with the seller? Did you just walk away from the deal? Government reimbursement? Etc.

Thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 21 2024, 20:47

Bad foundations were my money-makers. They are rarely as big a deal as most people think.... Of course you should get a General Contractor (Note - not Foundation Contr) to give an opinion.....

But in reality, most fixes are not that bad. If the price is right, it is even  a deal to redo a complete raised foundation. Been there done that...

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 21 2024, 21:24

My family used to buy crumbling foundations when I was kid.  All summer, they'd hike up the houses and repour the foundations.  It was a big headache, but there are companies that will do it.  Now I can always spot a bad foundation and I most definitely avoid them.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Josh Silvester
Votes |
Replied May 22 2024, 04:41
Quote from @Kristine Ann:

My family used to buy crumbling foundations when I was kid.  All summer, they'd hike up the houses and repour the foundations.  It was a big headache, but there are companies that will do it.  Now I can always spot a bad foundation and I most definitely avoid them.

Interesting. I’m in CT and they have funding to replace the foundations in the way you described. Knowing this, would you by a house with a crumbling foundation if it were a deal?

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 22 2024, 05:46
Quote from @Josh Silvester:

Curious if there’s anyone out there that’s recently bought a home with a crumbling foundation. Specifically in CT it’s a hot topic so would love to hear anyone’s experience. Were you able to negotiate with the seller? Did you just walk away from the deal? Government reimbursement? Etc.

Thanks!!

AS I mentioned 100x RE is nothing but math. So negotiate a proper price, 

User Stats

Votes
Patrice Hardy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Greenville NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Greenville NC
Replied May 22 2024, 06:13

I wouldn’t because I don’t like big projects. However, if I were to come across one with great potential and the numbers are what I’m looking for to make a good profit. I MIGHT! , but It really depends on the numbers. 

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 22 2024, 06:56
Quote from @Kristine Ann:

Interesting. I’m in CT and they have funding to replace the foundations in the way you described. Knowing this, would you by a house with a crumbling foundation if it were a deal?

Personally no, but it's just something I don't like to deal with.  My family would literally use car jacks and hike the house up!  They mixed and poured the concrete themselves. Looking back, I can't believe they did those projects.  

If you're able to get a good deal, some grant money, the numbers work and you know what contractors to call, it might be a thing you like to do.  It's a little too intense for me.  My preferred houses need paint and a new roof.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 23 2024, 07:40
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Thanks!!

AS I mentioned 100x RE is nothing but math. So negotiate a proper price, 

@Bob Stevens is right again. RE is nothing but getting out a spreadsheet and putting in all of your costs and all of your income. If the last number in the column makes you smile then you do it.

This applies to foundations, total guts, interest rates....everything about RE. The numbers can always work. 

But bear in mind that this works both ways! Even in a perfect market with low interest rates and high resale numbers, and the perfect Contractors and Property Managers..... You can have a horrible deal. Ask me how I know....

Just do the math. And then pray Mr. Murphy doesn't show up.