Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Ronald L. Covington II
Pro Member
  • Shelbyville, Louisville area
Votes |
SFR usage ideas

Ronald L. Covington II
Pro Member
Posted May 10 2024, 08:22

I will soon have a three bed two bath SFR with a partially finished basement available to rent. Have been using the property as a traditional rental. I've been tossing around the idea of trying something new with the the property. What that new is is the question. Have never done anything other that the traditional rental format. What are the other options for the property that can generate the most income? Would love to hear from the BP nation with ideas!! Thank you and talk to you soon!!

User Stats

Votes
Nate Herndon
Pro Member
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied May 10 2024, 10:53

Hi @Ronald L. Covington II, I think that short-term rental and furnished mid-term rental can be viable options if marketed correctly. I have quite a few clients who have found success with both. 

One client in Indianapolis rents a small, furnished single-family for 3-month terms to traveling nurses. His long-term market rents appraised for $950, whereas he was pulling $2,000+/month as a mid-term rental.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald L. Covington II
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 10 2024, 12:44

Hello and thank you for your response @Nate Herndon!! The mid-term furnished rental model  has been a consideration. Haven't done any research in terms of how that model would will work in my area.  Will certainly do so as it sounds like mid-term has the potential to produce better returns. Thanks again for your response Nate!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Shervin Golgiri
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Replied May 11 2024, 20:47

Hi Ronald, depending on what part of shelbyville the house is located. overall I would stick around with renting it for SFR, Rental market is good.

Improving the house can Increase your cash flow a little.  You shouldn't have a problem renting a 3bed/2bath in $1700-$2000 range, depending on the property exact location and condition. 

I wouldn't go through the headache of airbnb.  Place a long term tenant there and keep your peace my friend. Put your time and energy in somehwere else for more income.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Dobbs
Agent
  • Nicholasville
Votes |
Agent
  • Nicholasville
Replied May 12 2024, 12:11

What will generate the most income comes to how much time you want to put into it and the location of your SFH. Right now, the rental market is pretty high if not too high in a lot of areas.

As for options you can improve the property to get max rents for that rental if you aren't at max yet. 

Then you have the short-term and mid-term rentals. I'd check out those sections in the Real Estate Strategies section. They can make money but from what I've seen your more in the customer care and takes more of your time. Also, there are other costs to consider when doing these other strategies. 

I would recommend connecting with other investors in your area. Not sure if they still do but Louisville used to have an investor meet up pretty regularly.

Another option could be to sell and upgrade to multi family.

User Stats

Votes
John Douglas
  • Contractor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jun 7 2024, 09:46

I have a Airbnb in Shelbyville. Does very well. Shoot me a message if you would like to discuss.