Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Allen Zhu
Votes |
is detroit MI really a block by block area?

Allen Zhu
Posted

I have heard many investors invest in Detroit , Michigan 

Is Detroit really a block by block area meaning zip codes don't dictate in class neighborhoods? 

Is Detroit a good investment? homes don't seem to be in great shape and block by block homes all seems to run down. 

Interested to what you investors think! 

Thanks , 

Allen

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nampa, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nampa, ID
Replied

I would not use zip code to determine neighborhood class in any state.  Most states have areas that are block by block.  I imagine this is especially true in Detroit given my understanding of the area.  I would find an agent in the area that is familiar with the area and investing. 

User Stats

Votes
Denis Ponder
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Yuma, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Yuma, AZ
Replied

There are people here with extensive experience in the area.  I'm sure they will chime in.  Detroit is intriguing to me and from the folks I have connected with, I see value there.  But from those conversations I have learned it is block by block.  Definitely connect with someone knowledgeable.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied

Yes, absolutely it is.

You're better off using specific neighborhoods over zip codes. For example, Morningside is a small section of the 48224 zip code. I own 5 homes there. 

But there are sections of 48224 that I would deem not investable still today. There are also sections of Morningside I would steer away from. You can be in that neighborhood and have $250,000+ homes and you can be in that neighborhood and have $75,000 homes.

That's a tame example. Go to Dexter-Linwood and you'll really get a taste for how fast blocks can change.

This is the challenge, but also the opportunity, in Detroit today. If you understand the market you can position yourself in the path of growth, revitalization, and investment.

If you don't... you could end up in a D Class area because you bought in a bad section of a zip code that someone blindly told you was "good". 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied

@Allen Zhu as others have already commented, using zip codes is not a sound strategy.

For the City of Detroit (please don't mix the city & the suburbs!), using zip codes will lead to disaster.

What we've found though is, "block-by-block" is too granular for OOS investors and "scares" them away:(

So, what we've done is ranked the City of Detroit's 173 neighborhoods as Class A, B, C or D for OOS investors.

It's still not perfect, but it's way better than using zip codes and easier to evaluate than block-by-block!

We highly recommend though, having a local expert that you can run addresses by, to confirm the target property in on a good block before signing a purchase contract. That expert should also be engaged to review any inspection report you obtain, to ID potential issues.

PM us if you'd like the Neighborhood info.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Mitchell
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Replied
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Allen Zhu as others have already commented, using zip codes is not a sound strategy.

For the City of Detroit (please don't mix the city & the suburbs!), using zip codes will lead to disaster.

What we've found though is, "block-by-block" is too granular for OOS investors and "scares" them away:(

So, what we've done is ranked the City of Detroit's 173 neighborhoods as Class A, B, C or D for OOS investors.

It's still not perfect, but it's way better than using zip codes and easier to evaluate than block-by-block!

We highly recommend though, having a local expert that you can run addresses by, to confirm the target property in on a good block before signing a purchase contract. That expert should also be engaged to review any inspection report you obtain, to ID potential issues.

PM us if you'd like the Neighborhood info.

I too am looking at Detroit as an OOS option and would love to see your neighborhood info. I’m just beginning the process of considering OOS properties so any guidance is greatly appreciated! 

User Stats

Votes
Josh Mitchell
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Replied
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Yes, absolutely it is.

You're better off using specific neighborhoods over zip codes. For example, Morningside is a small section of the 48224 zip code. I own 5 homes there. 

But there are sections of 48224 that I would deem not investable still today. There are also sections of Morningside I would steer away from. You can be in that neighborhood and have $250,000+ homes and you can be in that neighborhood and have $75,000 homes.

That's a tame example. Go to Dexter-Linwood and you'll really get a taste for how fast blocks can change.

This is the challenge, but also the opportunity, in Detroit today. If you understand the market you can position yourself in the path of growth, revitalization, and investment.

If you don't... you could end up in a D Class area because you bought in a bad section of a zip code that someone blindly told you was "good". 

Travis, as an OOS investor who is actively involved in the Detroit market, how have you come to understand the market in determining which areas you’ve concentrated your investments? 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied
Quote from @Josh Mitchell:
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Yes, absolutely it is.

Travis, as an OOS investor who is actively involved in the Detroit market, how have you come to understand the market in determining which areas you’ve concentrated your investments? 

I moved there for 5 years and spent a LOT of time on the ground. 

Then I moved back to CA and I help folks do what I did without having to move. 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent