Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Flanagan
  • Property Manager
  • Prineville, Or
Votes |
Rehab trends in rental units

Patrick Flanagan
  • Property Manager
  • Prineville, Or
Posted

Who would I get in contact with for what trends are popular for rehabs? As far as colors to pick, what floors, and what’s trendy looking. 

As a new property manager I’d like to be on top of that if someone asks me, what I suggest would look the best and be the best in their rental units.

I had an awesome property manager who would buy the modern nice looking flooring in bulk so when his owners needed to rehab a unit he sold them the modern vinyl plank flooring for cheap. He did the same with paints etc.. I always thought he went the extra mile to save me money and he knew what looked the best.

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied

I am so glad you are asking this! Most people skimp on thinking about this and that's what ends up hurting them when it comes to renting them out. That's why as a realtor, I also became an interior designer because now-a-days a place has to look good to rent. We are such a visual society and there is no going back on that. So thank you for not just going to home depot and buying whatever is on sale and putting it in. That always makes it so much harder to rent, or secure a great tenant.

Here's my standard go to list now for long term rental updates:

-LVP that looks like wide plank white oak

-Ultra Pure white on all the walls

-Vertical/ modern stack backsplashes and showers

-Pop of color on the cabinets (pop of color can include black too)

-Butcher block countertops (lower end) or white quartz countertops (higher end)

-Modern light fixtures in brushed brass

Keep it neutral still but a couple of style choices with the light fixtures (which are cheap) and it will appeal to the masses.

Good luck! You got this!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

@Patrick Flanagan no one's mentioned the challenge of MAINTAINING TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD!

From the postings so far, it seems if everyone is thinking of only Class A properties.

How much sense does it make to rehab a Class C property to Class A standards?

What about the finish level of renovations depending on the property Class?

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Christie Gahan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Replied
Quote from @Mackenzie Grate:

I am so glad you are asking this! Most people skimp on thinking about this and that's what ends up hurting them when it comes to renting them out. That's why as a realtor, I also became an interior designer because now-a-days a place has to look good to rent. We are such a visual society and there is no going back on that. So thank you for not just going to home depot and buying whatever is on sale and putting it in. That always makes it so much harder to rent, or secure a great tenant.

Keep it neutral still but a couple of style choices with the light fixtures (which are cheap) and it will appeal to the masses.

Good luck! You got this!

How does the butcher block hold up?  You aren't supposed to cut directly on it and I don't know if people refrain.  Do you have to sand and refinish them?  Are they grimey around the sink?

User Stats

Votes
Christie Gahan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Replied
Quote from @Patrick Flanagan:

Who would I get in contact with for what trends are popular for rehabs? As far as colors to pick, what floors, and what’s trendy looking. 

As a new property manager I’d like to be on top of that if someone asks me, what I suggest would look the best and be the best in their rental units.

I had an awesome property manager who would buy the modern nice looking flooring in bulk so when his owners needed to rehab a unit he sold them the modern vinyl plank flooring for cheap. He did the same with paints etc.. I always thought he went the extra mile to save me money and he knew what looked the best.

Maria Killam is awesome.  Lots of free content and she really digs in to the Why does choice A look better then choice B.   

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied

We always choose low maintenance materials for rehab in our class C/B properties. Consider the long term cost of ownership - butcher block is expensive, looks great and can wear roughly. Laminate counter tops look ok, not great, but they show very little wear over time and are cheap to replace when they get damaged.

We use agreeable gray paint for the walls in all of our rentals - it wears well, shows dirt less than white.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Saunders
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greensboro NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greensboro NC
Replied
Quote from @Glen Wiley:

We always choose low maintenance materials for rehab in our class C/B properties. Consider the long term cost of ownership - butcher block is expensive, looks great and can wear roughly. Laminate counter tops look ok, not great, but they show very little wear over time and are cheap to replace when they get damaged.

We use agreeable gray paint for the walls in all of our rentals - it wears well, shows dirt less than white.

Agreeable gray paint is definitely a winner for my rentals also.  Laminate is definitely a good choice depending on the type of neighborhood and who your marketing too.

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied
Quote from @Christie Gahan:
Quote from @Mackenzie Grate:

Good luck! You got this!

How does the butcher block hold up?  You aren't supposed to cut directly on it and I don't know if people refrain.  Do you have to sand and refinish them?  Are they grimey around the sink?

It's held up surprisingly well. You can seal it. That definitely helps. And if they do cut on it or it takes a beating, you can sand down and refinish them easily. :)