Renting to Section 8 for the First Time

Renting to Section 8 for the First Time

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 231 posts · 188 votes

Hello all,

I have decided to list one of my units as section 8 due to the neighborhood and lack of leads from non section 8 tenants. Does anyone have any advice about renting to section 8? I know people have very mixed experiences in doing so. I currently have it listed on Affordable Housing for $1,575 (3b, 1ba two-story duplex) with water included in that. I have also read that you're supposed to include all utilities in the rent and it must all be at or less than the amount their voucher is worth. If this is the case, then I would need to list it for around $1,700.

Part of me is afraid of the unexpected from these tenants, but another part of me does want to provide a good home to people in need. I do also think I may have rent listed too high, but based on comps in the area and then doing section 8 instead of a regular rental, $1,575 with water included seems reasonable.  

I would love some input about renting to section 8 and any tips on it, such as certain things I should include in the lease or look for when screening (obviously income/credit will not be great from the tenant). TIA!

3Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Marc RiceBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

Hello all,

I have decided to list one of my units as section 8 due to the neighborhood and lack of leads from non section 8 tenants. Does anyone have any advice about renting to section 8? I know people have very mixed experiences in doing so. I currently have it listed on Affordable Housing for $1,575 (3b, 1ba two-story duplex) with water included in that. I have also read that you're supposed to include all utilities in the rent and it must all be at or less than the amount their voucher is worth. If this is the case, then I would need to list it for around $1,700.

Part of me is afraid of the unexpected from these tenants, but another part of me does want to provide a good home to people in need. I do also think I may have rent listed too high, but based on comps in the area and then doing section 8 instead of a regular rental, $1,575 with water included seems reasonable.  

I would love some input about renting to section 8 and any tips on it, such as certain things I should include in the lease or look for when screening (obviously income/credit will not be great from the tenant). TIA!


 I normally recommend to use a property manager who is experienced in the government forms, inspections, and timelines associated with section 8. Section 8 (CMHA in Columbus) can usually command a premium of rents but isn't always super simple.

Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 231 posts · 188 votes
    3y

    In addition to this, since I have AT&T already hooked up and serviced (I am currently living here but move into my new place in less than 2 weeks), would it make sense to keep wifi under my name and add that to the rent? Or charge separately? Or should I have it removed completely and have the tenant set up their own internet?

  • New to Real Estate · Texas Christian University · Member since 2022 · 118 posts · 56 votes
    3y

    Thomas, Section 8 housing is a great avenue for consistent cash flow. A wise investor once told me that tenants who qualify for section 8 housing are the best tenants. Here's why, people qualify for section 8 housing due to their low income stream and clean records. Section 8 housing can be stripped away from the tenant if the tenant deals damage to another property, or is subject to breaking state laws. Thus, Section 8 housing is a royalty gifted by the government for people in need. Section 8 housing tenants understand these laws and will not let free money disappear into thin air. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2022 · 551 posts · 379 votes
    3y

    You can get bad tenants in class A neighborhoods or section 8. Section 8 has pros and cons. Just comes down to you weighing the options then deciding if it's worth it to you to rent to section 8 or not.

    Personally, section 8 isn't for me. Just because the government is helping them with rent, does not mean that the tenant is clean, respectful or your property, etc.

  • Member since 2023 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    Thomas, Section 8 guarantees a steady income. Tenants with Section 8 will not want to mess up their vouchers once they qualify for it. I have a Section 8 tenant in the only house I own. The first of the month the rent is in your account. You can also look up the amount Section 8 is willing to pay for your rental. 

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    Hello all,

    I have decided to list one of my units as section 8 due to the neighborhood and lack of leads from non section 8 tenants. Does anyone have any advice about renting to section 8? I know people have very mixed experiences in doing so. I currently have it listed on Affordable Housing for $1,575 (3b, 1ba two-story duplex) with water included in that. I have also read that you're supposed to include all utilities in the rent and it must all be at or less than the amount their voucher is worth. If this is the case, then I would need to list it for around $1,700.

    Part of me is afraid of the unexpected from these tenants, but another part of me does want to provide a good home to people in need. I do also think I may have rent listed too high, but based on comps in the area and then doing section 8 instead of a regular rental, $1,575 with water included seems reasonable.  

    I would love some input about renting to section 8 and any tips on it, such as certain things I should include in the lease or look for when screening (obviously income/credit will not be great from the tenant). TIA!


     I normally recommend to use a property manager who is experienced in the government forms, inspections, and timelines associated with section 8. Section 8 (CMHA in Columbus) can usually command a premium of rents but isn't always super simple.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    Hello all,

    I have decided to list one of my units as section 8 due to the neighborhood and lack of leads from non section 8 tenants. Does anyone have any advice about renting to section 8? I know people have very mixed experiences in doing so. I currently have it listed on Affordable Housing for $1,575 (3b, 1ba two-story duplex) with water included in that. I have also read that you're supposed to include all utilities in the rent and it must all be at or less than the amount their voucher is worth. If this is the case, then I would need to list it for around $1,700.

    Part of me is afraid of the unexpected from these tenants, but another part of me does want to provide a good home to people in need. I do also think I may have rent listed too high, but based on comps in the area and then doing section 8 instead of a regular rental, $1,575 with water included seems reasonable.  

    I would love some input about renting to section 8 and any tips on it, such as certain things I should include in the lease or look for when screening (obviously income/credit will not be great from the tenant). TIA!


     If you screen well it shouldnt be an issue. Check credit and income, call past landlords, maybe even an employer if they have it

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    We recommend advertising for any & all tenants and having the same screening process for all of them.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    Hello all,

    I have decided to list one of my units as section 8 due to the neighborhood and lack of leads from non section 8 tenants. Does anyone have any advice about renting to section 8? I know people have very mixed experiences in doing so. I currently have it listed on Affordable Housing for $1,575 (3b, 1ba two-story duplex) with water included in that. I have also read that you're supposed to include all utilities in the rent and it must all be at or less than the amount their voucher is worth. If this is the case, then I would need to list it for around $1,700.

    Part of me is afraid of the unexpected from these tenants, but another part of me does want to provide a good home to people in need. I do also think I may have rent listed too high, but based on comps in the area and then doing section 8 instead of a regular rental, $1,575 with water included seems reasonable.  

    I would love some input about renting to section 8 and any tips on it, such as certain things I should include in the lease or look for when screening (obviously income/credit will not be great from the tenant). TIA!

    its less opaque than you make it out to be. you need to find the payment schedule for your exact property (based on zip code and number of bedrooms), then back out the utilities, then ask for rent close to that. you dont *need* to include utilities in the rent, i usually put electric and gas on the tenant and cover water/sewer to prevent leins. listen to the BP podcasts with the guy from DC who is renting $700K homes to HCV voucher holders and keeping tenants for 20+ years
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.