Found Major Water Intrusion Issues, Please Help!

Found Major Water Intrusion Issues, Please Help!

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 231 posts · 188 votes

Good morning everyone. I woke up this morning to very hard rain and the sound of heavy pouring. I went outside and discovered that the downspout from my top roof to my lower roof not only hangs too far over the gutter, but the gutter also is not draining right. This is leading to a bunch of water pouring straight down at the corner of the foundation. I have negative grading in general on the sides of the duplex (yes I know negative grading is bad for water) and when I went into the basement, I saw puddles being made from holes at the very bottom of the foundation wall. Water was coming in from a few spots and making puddles in the basement. First question, I know my gutters are kind of old and crappy, should I have them replaced or repaired? Second question, how do you fix negative grading on the sides of your house when both sides are concrete walkways that slope towards the house? Third question, how expensive would it be to fix all of these things? I was going to add videos but it is not allowing me to.

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Yes, fix the gutters and fill in any low areas around the building in order to keep water from standing and force it away from the building. That should work and isn't very expensive. A french drain may be needed, but do the other things first and see what happens.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Yes, fix the gutters and fill in any low areas around the building in order to keep water from standing and force it away from the building. That should work and isn't very expensive. A french drain may be needed, but do the other things first and see what happens.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 231 posts · 188 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anthony Dooley:

    Yes, fix the gutters and fill in any low areas around the building in order to keep water from standing and force it away from the building. That should work and isn't very expensive. A french drain may be needed, but do the other things first and see what happens.


     If I have cement on the sides of the building, what do you recommend putting there to fill in the negative grading and make it positive? 

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:
    Quote from @Anthony Dooley:

    Yes, fix the gutters and fill in any low areas around the building in order to keep water from standing and force it away from the building. That should work and isn't very expensive. A french drain may be needed, but do the other things first and see what happens.


     If I have cement on the sides of the building, what do you recommend putting there to fill in the negative grading and make it positive? 

    More cement. If it's ugly, consider putting raised beds along the building as a landscaping feature. You could use Dry Lock water sealant too, but you have to eliminate water from standing there first and foremost. 


  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Thomas O'Donnell

    I would take a multi step approach. First fix all the gutters and have them drain away from house, if you have to get extensions to have them run further away from house do so.

    If that does not solve it you can add a French drain around the house (even on other side of sidewalk) which could include gravel and a drain which again brings water away from house.

    Those would be the first two steps I would take.

    Also is your basement finished ?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 231 posts · 188 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Thomas O'Donnell

    I would take a multi step approach. First fix all the gutters and have them drain away from house, if you have to get extensions to have them run further away from house do so.

    If that does not solve it you can add a French drain around the house (even on other side of sidewalk) which could include gravel and a drain which again brings water away from house.

    Those would be the first two steps I would take.

    Also is your basement finished ?


     So the neighbors house is right next to mine. Our walkways have like 2 inches of dirt between eachother. Also, this is an unfinished basement. 

  • CO · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 52 votes
    3y

    @Thomas O'Donnell

    Definitely fix the gutters and downspouts.

    Mudjack the walkways to raise the side next to the house. Then seal all cracks in the sidewalk and along the house.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.