Should I learn about construction?

Should I learn about construction?

Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 12 votes

Hello everyone, I am currently in the process of becoming an agent, and then continue my education to become a broker. I eventually want to improve/add value and develop real estate as I gain more experience and connections in the industry. I will start out doing some residential fix and flips to get my feet wet with putting deals together and then move onto commercial renovations, then hopefully ground up developments. Since real estate and construction intertwine with each other, I figured why not pick up some skills in the construction trades? In order to save money and have more control over my projects I was thinking about taking a carpentry course so I can learn how to do some of the work on my own renovations when the time comes. Once I gain a good amount of connections in construction, I could possibly and eventually become my own licensed general contractor. Having experience in both real estate and construction I feel would be a good combination of skill set, education and experience in both fields with what I eventually want to do in the future. 

This would allow me to renovate my own projects under my supervision and management as a carpenter turned general contractor (hopefully) and sell my own properties as an agent/broker, which means I have saved a lot of money in the project.

What are your thoughts?

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2010 · 110 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    As long as the learning isn't interfering with your main source of income I'd go for it. I was a salaried professional with as many as 16 rentals and I did a lot of my own work. I got a book on framing and watched some construction projects to learn that end of things but the drywall repair was pretty much trial and error and self-taught. I took an A/C course at the junior college, taught by the HVAC guy who was a sponsor of, and frequent guest on, the local home handy man radio show. A/C repairs require a license of handling the refrigerant so this mainly focused on the troubleshooting of the electrical part of the system. Once I learned that end I saved a lot of money from needing to pay a technician to replace exhaust fan motors of relays.

    You can learn how to do roofs by reading the wrapping paper on any bundle of shingles, or you might be able to find an article called "your roof, for heaven's sake" which was published about 25 years ago by a California property owners' association. Reading it I learned that not only are composition roofs almost always installed WRONG but that the people installing them are very careless about standing, walking and SHUFFLING THEIR FEET on new shingles. The first time I did a roof the salesman at the supplier (I knew his wife and her family quite well) laughed at me because "I know you're making good money at your job and those (slur for immigrant workers) are only making minimum wage". I pointed out that each one was making minimum wage but as there were 10 of them working that was over $30.00 per hour which was more than  was making. My work was slow and sure but the next wind storm my roof stayed on while several of the neighbors lost theirs. This neighborhood had suffered badly in a hailstorm about 18 months earlier which was why a lot of us had replaced our roofs. The material cost me about $500 (for dimensional, not three tab shingles) and the insurance check was for about $1400-$1500. The difference went right into my pocket.

  • Dylan VargasPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
    8y

    @Marlon Thomas Welcome! I like your idea just be aware of how long some of these skills take to become proficient. Based on my own rehabs I would focus on Painting, Drywall hanging and repair, Vanity installation, laminate/luxury vinyl tile installation, ceiling fan and light installation, baseboard and door trim installation, window installation. This would be a start and these things can save some money. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.